After 40 years on four wheels

TonyV2Power
This post is 4844 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Evening all

Am looking to help a buddy in Ireland(south) looking to get back on a bike after forty years without one! Restrictions include max power at 33 BHP and knackered knee and hip joints. The combination of these factores points solidly towards a cruiser style of bike I feel.I am told that even after passing their m/c test, you stay on L plates for two years with the BHP restriction as well.

He needs a bike, two cylinders min, legaly restricted if required, that will keep his riding interest up even when more experienced, so a 20HP Suzy Maurader would probably not appeal. So learned friends, what make and model do you think I could suggest to him? From a price perspective, thinking of something 4 or 5 years old.

Appreciate your input

Regards

Tony

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Can't go wrong with a Dragstar... failing that I had my 1300 restricted to 33bhp when I first got it

• 2 weeks later...

XVS650 would reaaly be a good choice . Even i own it !!!I would recommend it to you also .

Dare I say a SV650

Restrictable, cheap, light, loads about, small, good MPG but still good fun.

I have one and I love it. Here is my one;

s1.jpg

What about a classic, a RD350b or a CB175 (twin carb). neither need restricting and both will pop the ton, they have a classic style too if you look properly for a good one.

Around 1500 quid should get something nice and honest.

My old man has a 750 intruder he's looking to shift sometime soon due to back and hip issues, he's keeping his CB175 though.

Food for thought?

What about a classic, a RD350b or a CB175 (twin carb). neither need restricting and both will pop the ton, they have a classic style too if you look properly for a good one.

.................Food for thought?

Food for thought indeed Jason, makes me wonder why I ever traded up to an RD250 :P

Dare I say a SV650

Restrictable, cheap, light, loads about, small, good MPG but still good fun.

s1.jpg

nice horse buddy, the SV although I've never owned one has been one of my top 3 'would love one o them' for a long time, nearly had one before I got the XJ6

Cheers.

'02 plate, 12k miles, 2 owners, around 1000 miles in the last 6 or 8 years not including the zorst - £1100. Can't go wrong.

Cheers.

'02 plate, 12k miles, 2 owners, around 1000 miles in the last 6 or 8 years not including the zorst - £1100. Can't go wrong.

Right, right rub it in why dont ye, some pal :angry:

geez a shot at Squires ;)

s1.jpg

Nice bike Dirty,

there a great yoke,,me mate has wan !

Food for thought indeed Jason, makes me wonder why I ever traded up to an RD250 :P

OOOps, i meant the 250 :D . CB don't hang about, though i can't see it doing a ton :rolleyes: .

Don't limit it to just those though, any of the late 70's early eighties bikes would be perfect.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online