Impatient But Boring

T/RGA
This post is 7129 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

We're not trying to say don't go for the R6 all we're trying to do is say have something for a bit beforehand. You can get a cheap runaround to start with, it doesn't have to be a scooter or an ugly bike either. Just something to get you started that will be more forgiving, something preferably with less plastic too!

If you're not used to bikes and someone pulls out on you (which happens on a regular basis) then you might panic and lock the back wheel up or jam on the front brake and leap over the bars. Cars really pose a major danger and you're not paranoid, they are out to get you.

You'll not even use a small portion of the bikes performance for ages which is why I wonder if you need it at the start. Not many people would choose to stick with a fiesta after passing their test, but are you telling me that it is actually wise to buy the 300ZX after a weeks intensive training? Which bit of the car test teaches you to cope with the back end sliding out when you come round a corner and hit some wet leaves? Does the emergency stop really teach you not to panic when a car pulls out in front of you or does it teach you to do a manouver to pass the test?

You have your whole biking career ahead of you so would it really hurt that much to spend a few months on another bike before the R6? It could save your life, or at least save you a lot of money in replacing the fairings when you drop it. Seriously what would be that bad about having another bike before the R6?

R6babe DL isn't saying the R6 isn't a good bike, just not idea for someone who's only just passed their test.

Thanks you put it better than I did. And big mouth is wrong, I have been to more biker funerals in the last 3 years than I ever went to in the 70's. roads were different then, yes bikes were different, and I do know what the test involves now. I had a friend who took his da this year he brought a 1000cc bike 3 months later I was at his funeral, all because he wanted to impress.

i just think that the R6 is a good bike, its one of the best 600s out there at the moment, it is my second bike, and i only had a 500cc ER-5 before that for 11 months and i had that written off last year, was without a bike for 8 months and got straight onto the R6, im still on it now, and it has helped me to learn how to handle a bike,

so long as u have R&G crash mushrooms on the bike, little drops here n there whilst manouvering dont matter, it wont even touch the plastics.....the R6 gives new riders great confidence without giving too much. my riding has improved miles since being on it, and i now can use the bike to its full potential,

i think if T/RGA was to go for the R6 then it would be a great choice for a first bike.....i understand all ur points, im just explaining it from my experiance

id say go for it!

Seriously what would be that bad about having another bike before the R6?

I dont want something else - I did want to get an R1!!! :D

I think something major has been overlooked here. Now, I am NOT suggesting that I understand the behaviour of a bike in varying situations but I am not a beginner in terms of engine driving rubber coated tyres which make contact with ever changing surface types. I am not new to machines on the road or track.

I do not know how to ride a bike correctly - But I'm not going to jump on the R6, hurtle round a blind bend and open the throttle for a laugh. I'm sure I'll need to be far more aware of other road users because I'll not be protected (inside a car), I'm sure many car drivers are oblivious to bikes - it is dangerous and I do not need to increase my chances of having an accident by driving above my ability. An R6 can be driven slowly.

but I am not a beginner in terms of engine driving rubber coated tyres which make contact with ever changing surface types. I am not new to machines on the road or track.

Trust me on this mate....but in many ways that's a disadvantage!

Reason: Your mindset is that of a car driver FIRST! And you require a completely different mindset for a bike.

I rode a bike first....consequently even when I drove cars, buses, lorries etc....my mindset was still that of a bike rider.

I'm not saying you can't adopt different mindsets, but I believe you'll have to reprogram your subconscious to some extent.

yeh, i started on a bike then on 2 the car....was on 2 wheels for a year b4 i got 2 the car.

im always in bike mode, even down to little things like putting my headlights on in the car even in the middle of the day! just habbit now!

it helps to have a bike mindset but it doesnt really matter where you start whether its car or bike, so long as when u get on the bike you can get urself into the rite mode!!

i know bikers who started in the car, and they are fantastic bike riders....all down to the individual and how they work

I first took my DAS test only 3 days after passng my CBT last November. I failed the test and was gutted as I wanted a 600. I went out and brought a Honda Varadero 125 which I used up until passing my DAS course in September.

I have said a number of times to people that looking back it was a blessing failing my test the first time around with such little experience as I firmly believe I wouldn't be around today without my experience on a 125 first.

Thats just my opinion.

It's all fun and games till somebody loses an eye!  8)  

They'd never have hacked it in the 70's would they DL?

Running street battles with Skinheads, Police moving you on everytime you stopped, refused service in cafes and pubs....not to mention the bike funerals you attended on a virtually monthly basis!

I miss the Good Old Days!  8)

Funerals - I've been to a few this summer just gone. Thankfully no one really close as all family and good, good friends are non bikers but it's still tight. Going to see a friend be put away is hard but after the third I got a bit numb to it all.

The CBT is a good idea, the old star rider bronze, silver and gold was a good thing too. In fact, any training of any sort that improves or aims to develop the rider / driver / road user is a good thing. Making it harder to get onto 2 wheels isn't directed at stopping people from getting into bikes (I hope) but a way of making sure a minimum standard is achieved by us wheelers.

As we all know, it's the 4 wheelers we gotta watch out for - mind you, a kid on a 125 was crippled 2 days ago (heard it unfold on the scanner) when he was taken out by a jerk on a mountain bike - you know how they do it, swung right out of a junction as the kid on the 125 was going past...

Tight.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online