New project on it's way

DirtyDT
This post is 4863 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

good project there. It seems mostof the bitz are there. I know Stafford has tons of suzi stuff and there always crooks for bits!

Most of the bits are there but some are in a lot poorer condition than I expected. The exhaust is no good, the tank is no good, not sure about the oil cover panel. The head and cylinder fins are fine (need to see if the cylinder will take a rebore). The engine turns freely in all gears but the oil has emulsified. There is a spark. The frame, swingarm and most other "structure" parts look as though they will clean up. Took the tax disc holder off and there are 4 disks in in from '92 to '95. I also have 3 MOTs for around the same period.

Good advice Drewps. The day after my birthday so I will be going with a list I think. :D

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest decision is.....

Museum piece or rideable classic?, everybody knows my opinion on that, bikes are there to be ridden. I have the TDR for high days and holidays, but thats my toy, also one winter would kill it like it did to SO many others.

You are in the best position being able to choose. SV for daily grind and this TS as a toy.

Rideable classic for me but maybe the next 6 to 8 Months getting it where I want it (Parts permitting). I use the SV to ride, enjoy and commute and it is my first choice form of transport. I want to be able to commute on the TS on dry days during the summer and maybe pop to a few events and weekends away.

Yeh I saw that. It is the second time the guy has advertised it. He had a TS250 which just sold HERE I emailed him about looking at it but it took so long for him to get back to me that I lost interest. I may have it if he comes down a bit as it isn't too far from me.

I have been looking at mine. It seems to have a later engine in it ('81 TS250ER). I seems to fit OK. So far I have only been tempted, and brought, another tank for it. That wasn't cheap!. Giving the bike a lot of plusgas to ease things up and exploring what I want for it before I rip it apart.

Yeh I saw that. It is the second time the guy has advertised it. He had a TS250 which just sold HERE I emailed him about looking at it but it took so long for him to get back to me that I lost interest. I may have it if he comes down a bit as it isn't too far from me.

I have been looking at mine. It seems to have a later engine in it ('81 TS250ER). I seems to fit OK. So far I have only been tempted, and brought, another tank for it. That wasn't cheap!. Giving the bike a lot of plusgas to ease things up and exploring what I want for it before I rip it apart.

get that list made mate to get an idea where your at. Get ebay to send emails when new stuff comes up, and get to stafford, its next month.

If you hav'nt been before you'll be amazed at the size of the autojumble!

if you post a list in the wanted section, I'm sure we'll all keep an eye out for you!

Just seeing this now !

Nice project there Dirty,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Dirty hands till your finished :D

get that list made mate to get an idea where your at. Get ebay to send emails when new stuff comes up, and get to stafford, its next month.

If you hav'nt been before you'll be amazed at the size of the autojumble!

if you post a list in the wanted section, I'm sure we'll all keep an eye out for you!

I am getting the list compiled and have a couple of bids in for stuff and am waiting for delivery of the replacement tank. I do intend to go to Stafford, I have never been so I will have a list to go with (and the car in case I am lucky).

Just seeing this now !

Nice project there Dirty,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Dirty hands till your finished :D

Ha ha 2 wheels. Yeh. I will get most of the crud off it this week but need to order that large shed before I get too carried away.

Well the tank arrived :D . Very clean inside, original paint, A tiny dent on the lefthand side (just after the I in Suzuki). Other than that I am very happy with it. Very usable as it is and the underside is just as clean.

sam1.jpgsam2.jpg

Come on guy's. Have a comment on the tank! :hyper: I was well chuffed and no one else had noticed :ma:

All the way from German evilbay.

Looks good, biggest problem i can see is the rusty pile of shite you rested it on for the photo's :P

Looks good, biggest problem i can see is the rusty pile of shite you rested it on for the photo's :P

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Looks great mate, off to a good start now. Whats up with the zorst then?

Very thin and pin holes at the neck from about 1 inch from the end. It has been patched at the first bend also.

Typical 2 stroke problem <_< The rest of it is great.

So 4 options;

Buy that new one off evilbay

Look for one in better condition

Get someone to fabricate a new neck

Wrap exhaust bandage around the thin area

It is very solid apart from the first part of the neck so I may use exhaust bandage while I keep my eyes open.

Very thin and pin holes at the neck from about 1 inch from the end. It has been patched at the first bend also.

So 4 options;

Buy that new one off evilbay

Look for one in better condition

Get someone to fabricate a new neck

Wrap exhaust bandage around the thin area

It is very solid apart from the first part of the neck so I may use exhaust bandage while I keep my eyes open.

Post some sizes and drewpy will fab a new one from his lava lamp, or a mop end ;)

Neighbour of mine is a coded welder/ metal fabricator (like he's certified to work on neuclear/oil metalwork work). If the pipe you have is still in reasonable shape i'm betting he could patch it pretty damn close for nothing like the STOOOOOPID money of that new one.

Like i said as long as its still got the original shape, that was the only reason we couldn't save my old DT pipe as my half arsed welding attempts patching it over the years had made it go all half cocked so he couldn't fix it, well he could but i fell lucky and got the new one and that was far easier/better.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online