XS500 oil advice

Moretto
This post is 4833 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everybody!

I'm having trouble finding the oil I usually use in my '77 xs500. I have always used Castrol moto 20w50 (It was called "ActEvo" last few years). It is a simple mineral oil. The sevice guys suggested I change to Yamalube 20W50, which is a semi-synthetic oil.(surprisingly, cheaper then mineral Castrol).

The old thing has been running for the past 30++ years on mineral, is it clever to shock it :blink: with synthetic now?

What about clutch and stuff? Any experience?

Thanks in advance.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Why change something when it works perfectly fine the way it is? :)

Hi everybody!

I'm having trouble finding the oil I usually use in my '77 xs500. I have always used Castrol moto 20w50 (It was called "ActEvo" last few years). It is a simple mineral oil. The sevice guys suggested I change to Yamalube 20W50, which is a semi-synthetic oil.(surprisingly, cheaper then mineral Castrol).

The old thing has been running for the past 30++ years on mineral, is it clever to shock it :blink: with synthetic now?

What about clutch and stuff? Any experience?

Thanks in advance.

Why change something when it works perfectly fine the way it is? :)

Thanks David, my thoughts exactly :D

But, You never know...I had to ask :eusa_think:

Using a bike specific semi synth oil should not affect the clutch etc,

and should not have any problems after using the castrol

Do yuo have millers oils in Croatia?? they make a lot of specifically designed oils for older engines

Hmm..no, no Millers as far as I know. Normally, we have all the "big names", plus a few suspicious "Made in Germany" (JLB or JBQ or something like that) bike oils, plus a number of domestic made...good for Vespa and Tomos 2T, but normally nobody uses them.

I will try to get some good old mineral Castrol, if not, "Yama-lube" sounds reliable (who would guess!! :lol: ).

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online