My Finished 1971 DT1E

Tommy10bikes
This post is 3910 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

After restoring the bike for 4 months its finished, its motd and insured so i can now get it registered.

Its been a good resto which i have enjoyed,fairly easy but most of the bits have to come from the states.

I have done all the polishing and wheel rebuilding, rebuilt the motor and re-sheathed the controls.

Soon to enjoy this summer

DSCF5565.jpg

DSCF5563.jpg

DSCF5558.jpg

DSCF5560.jpg

Next resto is my DT360

Cheers TTB

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Very well done there Tommy, :thumb:

Ya should of taken pic's at the start and let us follow it stage by stage on here.

Here is how it started, all there and solid with very little rust.

DSC03444.jpg

DSCF5045.jpg

DSCF5206.jpg

DSCF5181.jpg

DSCF5204.jpg

DSCF5224.jpg

DSCF5217.jpg

DSCF5262.jpg

DSCF5259.jpg

DSCF5428.jpg

DSCF5457.jpg

DSCF5523.jpg

DSCF5546.jpg

DSCF5535.jpg

DSCF5555.jpg

DSCF5566.jpg

Hope you enjoy the pictures

TTB

• Like 1

Now thats what im talkin about,,,,,,,,fair play to ya !

Superb, its a fantastic job. wasnt bad to start with though. Did you replace with much NOS,

did you re-zinc / chrome anything?

Hi OGOAB

I had all the zinc plating redone and nearly all the chrome work redone as well, new cable where bought

from the states but they where pattern parts, very good copies though, new shock but pattern rechromed indicators,

new tyres and tubes.Tyres where a problem as the front is an obsolete size so i had to go for a 300 x 19 rather

than trying to find a 3.25 x 19. Answer to your question the paint inside the rim is Hammerite No1 rust beater.

Cheers TTB

Lovin it B)B)B) but then I would say that :icon_wink:dtintherain2010may.jpg

I've had a new seat foam and cover since this picci was taken so it don't look quite so squashed(the original was full of Michigan mouse home!!)

how it looked before 1.jpg

all good fun don't ya think?

Fully agree Nets, cracking bike both of them. I have another DT1 a 69 model but no lights and a 21" front wheel which i think i may turn into a MX version. Looks like yours would have been much harder project to restore than mine, so well done there.

Got to admit it was your bike and article in the mag that got me looking for the early DT, trouble is i cant find the copy of the magazine now.

I wonder how many DT1 there are in the UK.

TTB

Cracking job tommo" , i"v always liked the DT1 / 2 & RT1. they have a better crackle off the exhaust than the later DT250/400, Muted over engine exhaust, got any picks of the 360 ?

And linconshire aint far from Squires, so maybe a big Yamaha trail bike turnout this year eh B)

Cracking job tommo" , i"v always liked the DT1 / 2 & RT1. they have a better crackle off the exhaust than the later DT250/400, Muted over engine exhaust, got any picks of the 360 ?

And linconshire aint far from Squires, so maybe a big Yamaha trail bike turnout this year eh B)

Squires , well you never know but i would have to come on the XT500 , any way here is the DT360 before stripdown.

DSCF4410.jpg

DSCF4496.jpg

Here it is at the moment, frame just come back from powder coating, fork stantions are at philpots as they where really bad,

zinc plating has come back so all i have to do now is send the tinware off for painting and send the parts off for chrome plating.

DSCF5573.jpg

Here is a utube link on the day i managed to get it up and running

http://www.youtube.com/user/markcoppersmith#p/a/u/1/hJORwlNXSQE

Yes it does go well.

TTB

Squires , well you never know but i would have to come on the XT500 , any way here is the DT360 before stripdown.

DSCF4410.jpg

DSCF4496.jpg

Here it is at the moment, frame just come back from powder coating, fork stantions are at philpots as they where really bad,

zinc plating has come back so all i have to do now is send the tinware off for painting and send the parts off for chrome plating.

DSCF5573.jpg

Here is a utube link on the day i managed to get it up and running

http://www.youtube.com/user/markcoppersmith#p/a/u/1/hJORwlNXSQE

Yes it does go well.

TTB

My TRX is at a similar stage at the mo was only supposed to be getting a bit of winter tlc but is now in a million pieces it will be better than new when finished and should be ready for summer....if I get cracking.

My TRX is at a similar stage at the mo was only supposed to be getting a bit of winter tlc but is now in a million pieces it will be better than new when finished and should be ready for summer....if I get cracking.

Yes Nets it will be on us quicker than we think, Arhh summer months riding down country lanes, i can see it now,

how wonderful our hobbies are, good job everybody dosnt want to do it.

TTB

• 2 years later...

Wooo!!. Nice jobb!. I have a At2 1972 in pieces so I'd like to restor but I have not idea how to make it!. Could you suggest me some literature wich can help me know where each piece goes?

You need a parts catalogue and this link should help.

http://www.ytcn.nl/archief/Archief/Yamaha%20Parts%20Manuals%20ALL%201950-1996/AT/AT2_CT2_AT3_CT3.PDF

TTB

Nice looking bike. Bet you can't wait to get out on it and show off all your hard work.

I'm jellouse,I'v been looking for a older bike to restor for a couple of years now and can't find squat around here.

Nice job TTB,just wondering how much you spent redoing that bike?