Jog r 50cc, starts fine but wont rev

slunge
This post is 4847 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All

had a few issues with my late 2006 jog r i have just bought, fixed most but have one last issue before heading off for MOT - Ever since i bought the bike, it initally started fine and rode ok but half way on the ride home, lost power on hills or whenever the throttle was opened more than 1/3 of the way.

Since getting it home i have done the follow - with the following outcomes:

Changed Spark Plug - No Change (although the HT lead appears to have a sparkplug cap stuck in it and i had to screw the new plug in to it removing electrode from new one)

New Battery (fixed electrical probs, inc button start but no change to riding)

Removed and refitted exhaust (had to get to brakes anway) - when riding the bike with the exhaust loose performance was the same, since putting it back on fully tight with no leaks, new gasket, problem appears worse, engine literally dies within 10 seconds of applying any more than 1/4 throttle.

Removed and cleaned carb fully and checked fuel line for flowing fuel - if anything this didnt help but made it worse, it now starts perfectly but has real problems revving

Changed the length of throttle pin in carb by moving clip up/down - no change

Fresh tank of gas - no change

Tried altering idle speed, and mixture - after cleaning carb it was idling slightly rough, though changing idle only seems to make a difference when cold, adjusting the mixture just seems to alter how far you can rev it before it dies, and weather if you release throttle if it carrys on running.... almost seems like engine is flooding.

Last symptom is that when you first start the bike, it seems to be ok, within 20 seconds is when the problems get worse as things begin to warm, apparently bike had been sitting without use for few months before i purchased it, and i think it might be highish milage (think 10kish), when i removed carb, someone had disconnected the choke (maybe mistake not to reconnect) - having it connected or not makes no difference.

Any suggests on things to try would be appriciated! :(

• 2 months later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I had a similar problem with my EW50 Slider - the air box had come loose from the carb and she was getting too much air.

Try reving her up while someone holds the air box tight against the carb.

Also, (and on the other side of the coin) is the air filter nice and clean? She might not be getting enough air.

Good luck

Jason

I had a similar problem with my EW50 Slider - the air box had come loose from the carb and she was getting too much air.

Try reving her up while someone holds the air box tight against the carb.

Also, (and on the other side of the coin) is the air filter nice and clean? She might not be getting enough air.

Good luck

Jason

Thanks mate, I found the prob, was a faulty coil

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online