LED tail/stop bulbs

OllieB
This post is 4929 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

LED tail light update:

I posted this info in the headlight upgrade thread where this was discussed but thought it was important enough to start a new thread:

Just received the pair of super bright LED #1157 tail/stop bulbs I ordered from Ebay. I have used the seller in the past with good results. Installed the bulbs and they are practically as bright as the filament type - only a very slight difference. Far better that the other, flatter style you usually find in auto parts stores. I am totally satisfied with the results. They are a little pricey but they are high quality. Power test: with engine running and headlight on high beam (60w), no headlight dimming when the brake(s) are applied. Not so with the stock filament bulbs - the headlight dims noticeably when brake(s) are applied. Remember, I have an H4 SilverStar Ultra 55/60w bulb in a new 6 3/8" CandlePower motorcycle reflector. I can highly recommend these super bright #1157 LED bulbs to folks wanting to take a little strain off the charging system after installing a higher wattage headlight.

The link below is to the seller's ebay store. Since links to specific listings change all the time, you want bulbs with this description: "2pcs 1157 13W High Power LED red Stop/Tail Bulbs". Refractor style LED bulbs are also offered which project more to the side. Since I have not tested these, I can't comment on their effectiveness.

http://stores.ebay.com/warden-jp2008/_i.html?_nkw=1157&submit=Search&_sid=1006980729

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

LED tail light update:

I posted this info in the headlight upgrade thread where this was discussed but thought it was important enough to start a new thread:

Just received the pair of super bright LED #1157 tail/stop bulbs I ordered from Ebay. I have used the seller in the past with good results. Installed the bulbs and they are practically as bright as the filament type - only a very slight difference. Far better that the other, flatter style you usually find in auto parts stores. I am totally satisfied with the results. The only possible mistake I made was when I ordered the red LED bulbs instead of the white bulbs. Since our reflector is already red, the white LEDs might have been slightly brighter behind the reflector. Forgot that little fact since I was into this type of upgrade with my scoot a couple of years ago. They are a little pricey but they are high quality. Power test: with engine running and headlight on high beam (60w), no headlight dimming when the brake(s) are applied. Not so with the stock filament bulbs - the headlight dims noticeably when brake(s) are applied. Remember, I have an H4 SilverStar Ultra 55/60w bulb in a new 6 3/8" CandlePower motorcycle reflector. I can highly recommend these super bright #1157 LED bulbs to folks wanting to take a little strain off the charging system after installing a higher wattage headlight.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...s#ht_798wt_1167

Your link is bad.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2pcs-1157-13W-High-Power-LED-Red-Stop-Tail-Bulbs-/190443067422?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c574a981e

I bought me some too.. I ordered before Ollie could confirm they would work great for us. Glad it all worked out.

Thanks kindest! I edited the original post with a link to the seller's ebay store and a description of the specific bulb description since links to "for sale" items are always expiring.

• 3 weeks later...

Actually, you might have dodged a bullet by "accidentally" buying the red bulbs instead of the white ones. "White" LEDs don't emit the same wide-spectrum white that an incandescent does- they're actually a mix of a blue and a yellow that our eye sees as white. Your red taillight will happily filter out almost all of that blue and yellow, and the bulb would have looked very dim.

When you buy taillight or turn-signal LED bulbs, you need to match the color of the LED to the color of the lens for it to shine through.

Actually, you might have dodged a bullet by "accidentally" buying the red bulbs instead of the white ones. "White" LEDs don't emit the same wide-spectrum white that an incandescent does- they're actually a mix of a blue and a yellow that our eye sees as white. Your red taillight will happily filter out almost all of that blue and yellow, and the bulb would have looked very dim.

When you buy taillight or turn-signal LED bulbs, you need to match the color of the LED to the color of the lens for it to shine through.

Interesting! I have seen both views posted over the past couple years. In my case, the red bulbs work perfectly and since I don't plan on buying another set of white, i'll never know!

I suppose anything can be debated, but physics are physics. If you have 2 bulbs that put out the same amount of light, one in white and one in red, then you put them behind a red lens- the red one will transmit more light through. The only way the white one can be brighter is that if actually puts out more light than the red one to begin with. The red lens does not convert light to red, it filters out all wavelengths other than red. If there is more red to begin with, more will make it out the lens.

I suppose anything can be debated, but physics are physics. If you have 2 bulbs that put out the same amount of light, one in white and one in red, then you put them behind a red lens- the red one will transmit more light through. The only way the white one can be brighter is that if actually puts out more light than the red one to begin with. The red lens does not convert light to red, it filters out all wavelengths other than red. If there is more red to begin with, more will make it out the lens.

You know, I had forgotten about the physics. Been a long time since my physics class. Makes perfect physics sense to use the red LED with a red lens. I stand corrected!! Will edit my original post so others not reading all the posts will not be misled. Thanks.

• 5 weeks later...

You know, I had forgotten about the physics. Been a long time since my physics class. Makes perfect physics sense to use the red LED with a red lens. I stand corrected!! Will edit my original post so others not reading all the posts will not be misled. Thanks.

Darn good information you guys put out on this topic :)

I love LED lights...low draw makes everything run a wee bit smoother on these old bikes :D