Results of idle screw kit on XS400

OllieB
This post is 4992 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Today I installed the idle screw kits and choke rod seals I got from MikesXS. Wanted to wait until I got the butterfly shaft rod seals but they are out of stock and I couldn't get any info on when they would be back in stock. All I can say is that the difference is amazing!! Dust cover plugs had already been removed by a previous owner so the job was a little easier. The o-rings on the idle screws were still in one piece but were quite firm and somewhat deformed. The screw tips were in good shape but I installed the new set from the kit. The choke rod gaskets on the bike were very hard and broke apart as I removed them. After removing the choke rod and being careful not to loose the small ball bearings in the rod guides, the easiest way to install the new seals is to use a wrench to remove the enrichers. You can then slide the shaft out and more easily install the seals over the retaining lip. Of course, the carbs need to be removed - not a difficult job.

After putting everything back together I set the idle mixture screws to 2 turns out. The bike started instantly and smoothly with a good fast idle and settled to a good idle after the choke was pushed in. After a test ride I turned each screw out 1/4 more because the bike acted like it was just a little lean. Will test and increase the setting by 1/4 turn increments if needed. I had been chasing the "high idle after engine heats up" issue and knew the cause was most likely the idle screw o-ring and/or the other seals.

Guys new to these older bikes - like me - take heed of the expert advice given here by the experienced guys. :D

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online