1982 Yamaha XS400J[?] Maxim woes

ryanm
This post is 5003 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey, I'm newly registered here but I've been looking around a lot and you seem like a helpful bunch so I thought I'd bring my troubles here so please bear with me.

I just recently acquired a 1982 Yamaha XS[XJ maybe?] 400 Maxim. I believe it's actually an XS400J but I'm not 100% positive on this. Anyway, this is the first bike I've ever had and it didn't start when I got it. I bought a new starter because the old one was shot. Now the starter works but it still doesn't run. Electrical system seems to be working fine and all that but I took the carbs out to clean them as the bike had been sitting a while with fuel in it. They didn't really seem dirty at all but I cleaned them out anyway. I didn't take them all apart and clean out everything entirely as I don't want to have to resync them. My knowledge is still pretty limited and I just want to get it running first. My first problem is this: I don't have the OEM manual but instead have the occasionally useful Haynes book which doesn't cover my exact model but most things are the same. One difference I've found so far, much to my chagrin, is that moving the air filter box seems impossible. I got the carbs out with force but I'm afraid if I try the same thing putting them back in, I'll tear one of the stubs/boots on the air filter. If anybody has owned this bike or has the manual, is there an easy way to get the carbs back into place? For that matter, does anybody have a link to the manual? Not the service manual for the Seca[which was also somewhat useful] but the one for my particular bike.

I probably gotten the easier stuff out of the way first but I figured the carbs would need to be cleaned anyway so I went for that. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Edit: I managed to get the carb back into place but still can't get it in. It's in the air filter although the clamps are a little loose for my liking. I just can't seem to get it into the boots for the inlet.

I thought about maybe trying to warm them up with a blowdryer to make them more pliable. Does anybody know if this would work or if there's something I'm missing here?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

If it's an XS400J, your air boxes do come out. All you have to do is unscrew the bar clip that holds them on. There is one screw holding these on at the bottom, and the clip on the top.

You're going to have to completely take the carbs apart to clean them properly, otherwise you will continue to have problems. As long as you don't turn the Sync screw, you won't have to readjust it. The Sync assembly does not need to be adjusted to separate the carbs, you can just pull them apart, as the it's spring loaded.

You will find some manual information in the "XS400" links Thread, at the top of the Classics Forum.

Sometimes if you're having trouble getting your carbs back into the carb boots, you might try loosening the clamps on the boots. Even if they seem free, the boots need to stretch to accommodate the carbs- the clamps might be inhibiting that.

/has spent 15 minutes pushing on a carb before he figured this out