XS400 Lights

akamor
This post is 5010 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello All,

I am working on the electrical system on my 1980 XS400. I am trying to figure out the problem with my turn signals.

I have several questions for someone with a working XS400.

1) When I turn the key should the turn signals light up? Currently when the key is in the ignition but the engine is NOT on my turn signals are on. When the bike is running the turn signals remain on continuously and using the turn signal control on the handlebar has no effect? Is this normal.

2) Only 2 of my turn signals light up. The other two are off, regardless of whether or not the engine is on/off and regardless of what I am doing with the turn signal controls.

Any advice on where to begin looking would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Adam

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hello All,

I am working on the electrical system on my 1980 XS400. I am trying to figure out the problem with my turn signals.

I have several questions for someone with a working XS400.

1) When I turn the key should the turn signals light up? Currently when the key is in the ignition but the engine is NOT on my turn signals are on. When the bike is running the turn signals remain on continuously and using the turn signal control on the handlebar has no effect? Is this normal.

2) Only 2 of my turn signals light up. The other two are off, regardless of whether or not the engine is on/off and regardless of what I am doing with the turn signal controls.

Any advice on where to begin looking would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Adam

It is not normal for your turn signals to be on unless you flip their switch. Nor should they ever stay on without blinking. Which turn signals are on, just the front, or the back or is it the ones on the right side, or the left?

It is not normal for your turn signals to be on unless you flip their switch. Nor should they ever stay on without blinking. Which turn signals are on, just the front, or the back or is it the ones on the right side, or the left?

It is both front and back. I am not sure if it is the left or right side because I am sure at some point I messed up the wiring. However, it is only 1 in the front and 1 in the back.

Adam

If I were you I would begin by checking the connections in the headlight. On my bike there are several unused connectors there. I'm not sure that is your only problem, but seems like the best place to start.

If I were you I would begin by checking the connections in the headlight. On my bike there are several unused connectors there. I'm not sure that is your only problem, but seems like the best place to start.

Thanks. I did as you said and traced all of the connections and made sure everything was hooked up properly. After fixing a couple of connections everything works great.

Adam

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online