Won't idle, wtf?!

iamzeplin
This post is 5019 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ugh, bike is a 94 xj600/seca/diversion/whatever. I bought it about 2 weeks ago and it was perfect, put about 200 miles on it since buying. Went out to start it yesterday before work and it will not idle for shit! I pull the choke and it will idle ok, around 2,500 or so, but as soon as I turn the choke off it dies. Try to start it and nothing. In the rare event I can even get it to start without choke it will idle super rough around 600 rpms and sputter until it dies. Even if I let it warm up beforehand.

I really don't know a lot about motorcycles and this one is over my head. Is there something I'm missing? I'm really hoping someone here has the know how because I am utterly distraught. I wanna ride! :(

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sounds like you bought some dirty petrol (gas) & the dirt has clogged the idle jets in the carbs. Get the idle jets cleaned & it usually sorts the problem.

You know, that's a very real possibility because I did get the gas from Swifty here in the States. You UK guys probably haven't heard of it but it's not exactly the highest quality gas available.

If I try and rev it up it will die instantly too, whether it be choked or not. Assuming dirty gas has clogged the jets, would this still happen?

You know, that's a very real possibility because I did get the gas from Swifty here in the States. You UK guys probably haven't heard of it but it's not exactly the highest quality gas available.

If I try and rev it up it will die instantly too, whether it be choked or not. Assuming dirty gas has clogged the jets, would this still happen?

I've gotten bad gas here in the US before too. That's why I stick to name brand.

I've gotten bad gas here in the US before too. That's why I stick to name brand.

Yea, I usually go with Shell or BP gas. But I was at my grandparents in the middle of nowhere and just decided to use some he had in his gas can. He always buys garbage. I should have known better but honestly, I hope this is the only problem because it would be a helluva lot simpler than I expected. Any other ideas from anyone? Feel free to let me know!

Sounds like the dirt may be trying to clog the main jets too. Get your carbs cleaned & fit a fuel filter & should stop the problem. Also check the diaphragms in the carbs just in case they may be holed.

Well, I checked the carbs and they were actually very clean. I decided to drain the gas tank and fill it with good quality gas and see where that took me; well as it turns out I just had bad gas! It runs perfectly fine now. This will be the last time I get gas from Swifty ever again.

Thanks everyone for the input, it's a relief everything is back in order now! :D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online