Blueing of Exhaust

akronevan2
This post is 5001 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, it has been a long while since I have been on but here is my question; My 1983 maxim 400 has blueed exhaust pipes where they hook up to the engine. Could this be because of sticking exhaust valves or timing? I have been thinking of getting a new exhaust but dont want to if they are just going to over-heat. My other question is that between 3k - 4k RPM it hesitates pretty hard going up small hills. Is that normal, or is there a problem with the carbs? Let me know guys. Thanks!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • 1 month later...

Hi, it has been a long while since I have been on but here is my question; My 1983 maxim 400 has blueed exhaust pipes where they hook up to the engine. Could this be because of sticking exhaust valves or timing? I have been thinking of getting a new exhaust but dont want to if they are just going to over-heat. My other question is that between 3k - 4k RPM it hesitates pretty hard going up small hills. Is that normal, or is there a problem with the carbs? Let me know guys. Thanks!

Sounds like a heat problem/very hot exhaust causing the same thing that happens when "tempering" metal.

The second situation maybe related to heat also, I have the same problem on an XS500 after running 5K - 6k,

for over an hour and it being >98 degrees outside. I recently found out that heat from the engine block was transfering

over into the carbs causing gas in the bowls to get very hot (not quit a vapor lock, but getting there) and also

break down of the engine oil viscosity.

You might also look at the spark plugs, they could be "breaking down" at high compression/high load (inclines).

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online