Great Runner but Can't Ride at Dusk

akronevan2
This post is 5027 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So I got back home tonight, at dusk, pulled into the garage and noticed I have no headlight. Seeing as how I have no lights in my garage, I have not tested a thing yet, aside from seeing if any other lights were out. Could I ask for some information, such as part numbers and likely causes etc. My other problem is that when riding the bike hesitates between 4k and 5k RPM, is that normal or is there something messed up in the carbs? If someone can talk me through this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I'm sorry I can't help you with the light issue but I can help you on the hesitation, I've heard from a number of sources that there is a natural flat spot in the mid rpm range, on mikesxs.net there is a carb re-jet kit to help with this, it even comes with a drill bit to drill out some holes in the carbs, how ever since mikesxs is all about xs650 and bigger and doesn't say a thing about the 400 and parts for it, it does become tricky I can tell you that they all run the same carb for the most part depending on the year of the bike, the carbs are the mikuni bs34

Regarding the headlight- are both high and low beam out? If so, check the fuse and the connections around the fuse first. If it is one or the other, take the bulb out and see if you are getting power to the bulb. If you are, try jumpering direct battery power to the headlight to double check it before replacing. If the bulb lights- you have eliminated one thing. If not and there is power through the normal circuit, the bulb is the culprit. If there is no power to the bulb, and there is no problem with the fuse or connections around the fuse- then it gets more complicated. Try the simple stuff first.

• 1 month later...

Regarding the headlight- are both high and low beam out? If so, check the fuse and the connections around the fuse first. If it is one or the other, take the bulb out and see if you are getting power to the bulb. If you are, try jumpering direct battery power to the headlight to double check it before replacing. If the bulb lights- you have eliminated one thing. If not and there is power through the normal circuit, the bulb is the culprit. If there is no power to the bulb, and there is no problem with the fuse or connections around the fuse- then it gets more complicated. Try the simple stuff first.

OK Thank you for your comment and sorry that it has been so long. It turns out that I had a bad connection between the fuse and fuse holder. I tried to bend the holder in to hold the fuse tighter. BIG MISTAKE!! Don't try that on any old bikes! So after I broke it I went to the auto parts store and got an inline fuse holder and that worked with no problem.

OK Thank you for your comment and sorry that it has been so long. It turns out that I had a bad connection between the fuse and fuse holder. I tried to bend the holder in to hold the fuse tighter. BIG MISTAKE!! Don't try that on any old bikes! So after I broke it I went to the auto parts store and got an inline fuse holder and that worked with no problem.

Been there, done that....did this:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online