looking at a 1985 fz750

bloobert28
This post is 5085 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

im looking at buying a 1985 yamaha fz750. im worried about a few things. first the engine has 35,000 miles, is that high? at this age and milage will it be a reliable bike i want to be able to ride for a few hours and not get stranded. what are a few things i should look at on the bike when i go look at it? thanks much

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

As above 35K is nothing if oil has been changed regularly. One of mine is showing 54k & the bores, cam lobes etc all mint when I removed the head last year. :D valve clearances are critical on them or power loss, poor starting/running will occur. Generally hardy old things with plenty of character & decent performance for an old bike. Suspension could well be past its best by now so check rear shock & front fork action.

This is my forum dedicated to the FZ750 here, http://fz750.proboards.com/index.cgi it's not been running long (1 week in fact) but getting a steady flow of visitors & people joining every day. Would be nice to see you on there. :D