how does a yamaha dt80 clutch hookup

chris c
This post is 5124 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I just got a 78 dt80 and the clutch was not hooked up. i pulled the cover off and see the lever on the inside of the case where the cable hooks to. But i dont know if im missing a piece or what but all there is that the lever could connect to is a rod that goes in you can pull this rod out and it doesnt have any spring tension or anything is this normal? when you pull the lever in and out by the cable it moves in and out like it would push and pull the rod also there is a spring hooked to the inside of the case taht goes to the lever i would guess but I cannot find out where it hooks on any help would be great also if anyone has the manual i could really use it thanks so much

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
Guest MaD.VeZ

I just got a 78 dt80 and the clutch was not hooked up. i pulled the cover off and see the lever on the inside of the case where the cable hooks to. But i dont know if im missing a piece or what but all there is that the lever could connect to is a rod that goes in you can pull this rod out and it doesnt have any spring tension or anything is this normal? when you pull the lever in and out by the cable it moves in and out like it would push and pull the rod also there is a spring hooked to the inside of the case taht goes to the lever i would guess but I cannot find out where it hooks on any help would be great also if anyone has the manual i could really use it thanks so much

Pictures are always a big help with problems like this  ;)

• 2 weeks later...

The cable end sits in a small barrel shaped housing, which fits into this lever mechanism. This mechanism fits onto a grooved hollow shaft(worm) within a plastic housing attached to the cover. Within this hollow shaft there is a threaded rod which is adjustable by means of a screwhead and lock nut. The small spring is attached to a hole on the small lever and the other end sits on a small pin fitted near the bottom of engine casing.

The long rod that slides in and out (clutch push rod) is pushed by this mechanism and engages/ disengages clutch plates at other side of engine. The clutch springs at the other side of engine provide the tension for the handle bar lever to return and keeps the clutch plates together. The little spring on lever mechanism keeps the cable in tension.

To connect it up (if it is all there):

The small side cover that fits over the flywheel, connected to the engine casing by three bolts has to be removed.

Fit the clutch cable to handle bar lever, adjusted with plenty of slack

Push other end of cable thru hole in detached engine casing and engage it to lever mechanism.

Make sure small spring is in place.

(Pulling handle bar lever, you will see this mechanism go in and out)

Now, with the threaded adjuster rod inside the worm removed replace the engine cover and tighten its bolts.

Adjustment is done by screwing threaded adjuster rod into worm until resistance is felt i.e. it is contacting end of clutch push-rod. Then back off screw head on adjuster rod by 1/4 turn. Now hold it in this position with screw driver and tighten lock nut gently.

You can now make adjustments using cable adjusters.

It's a bit fiddly but that's how its done.

good luck

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online