79 XS 750 Vacuum Troubles

willi183
This post is 5107 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I just recently bought a 79 XS 750. They guy before me switched it to the air pod filter coming off the carbs (Mukuni) My question is.... there is about a foot long, 3/4" vacuum tube (I assume) coming off of the engine block (by the oil cap) that is not blocked off or attached to anything. Where should this go? I think it probably attaches to the air box/filter, but there is not one since he had switched it over. What do I do? THANK YOU FOR THE HELP!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I just recently bought a 79 XS 750. They guy before me switched it to the air pod filter coming off the carbs (Mukuni) My question is.... there is about a foot long, 3/4" vacuum tube (I assume) coming off of the engine block (by the oil cap) that is not blocked off or attached to anything. Where should this go? I think it probably attaches to the air box/filter, but there is not one since he had switched it over. What do I do? THANK YOU FOR THE HELP!

I think that is the vent tube for the crankcase, not a vacuum tube. Originally, it would have been attached to the intake track but since the original air boxes have been ditched, there is nowhere to attach it. Any small air filter or oil breather that fit it would be a good idea. An auto parts store should have something to fit. It will spew oil if you overfill the crankcase, but otherwise it just vents. It would be good to have some way of keeping dust out of there.

Wow, thanks for the quick reply and great advice. I will stop by today and get one. Much appreciated.

I think that is the vent tube for the crankcase, not a vacuum tube. Originally, it would have been attached to the intake track but since the original air boxes have been ditched, there is nowhere to attach it. Any small air filter or oil breather that fit it would be a good idea. An auto parts store should have something to fit. It will spew oil if you overfill the crankcase, but otherwise it just vents. It would be good to have some way of keeping dust out of there.

• 5 weeks later...

hi there

yes it is the crank breather, normaly conected to the air filter.

if you don't have the original air filter fitted the I would get a small filter to fit on to the end of the tube, make sure you do NOT block this pipe of.