1980 sr250 yamaha

lill biker
This post is 4529 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • 2 weeks later...

i have a1980 sr250 yamaha that has tapping noise from top half of motor can it be adjusted or fixed where can i find spec. pic. of it

Look up in the manual.

Little ticking are valves: adjust.

Rattling is loose distribution chain: adjust.

Mine has irregular ticks (like electrical sparks) at low revs, mostly when cold starting. Guess this is/are sticking piston rings loosening. I do not care.

Also have a slight knock down, when starting cold. Stops after 15 seconds or so. Guess this is main bearing loose/wear dry with little oil when starting up. Just carefully wait till oil is pumped there.

These engines are thirty or so years old. So i do not drive faster than 100 km/hr (~6000+ revs) and usually keep it around 80. Drive most of the time with two up. My wife weights only about 55 kg, but it makes a difference with driving one up. Where we live the roads/country are/is almost flat. On very steep hills it was hard work in first gear when we made a 1200 km trip to North Thailand.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

Just bought the same bike and getting the same noise...I'm taking it in for a safety and I'll let you know...you have me all paranoid

hi.i to have just bought a 1981 sr250 that im going to restore.it also sounds rattly.did you get yours checked?and what was the out come

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online