1989 Yamaha FJ600 Not Starting

Joshman
This post is 5165 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Greetings,

I have had much luck in other forums when I had a Honda. I am hoping to get some tech guys here to answer a question or two.

I have a 1989 Yamaha FJ600 which wont start. The engine will turn over just fine but no ignition. I rode the bike for about a year before that just fine. One day it wouldn't start.

I am new here so maybe there is a checklist of things I should go through but I cannot find it.

Any help here would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joshman

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Joshman,

I'm no techie but I had a similar problem on my XJ.

If there's no sign of a bang it could be coils or the wiring to them. They're open to a lot of winter crap under there. Work back from the plugs (keeping your battery charged up). Pull connectors apart and reconnect them once or twice as a start then check the coils with a multimeter. The electronic stuff is quite robust I'm told so you shouldn't panic on that count.

Hope this helps.

Craig

This happened to me once on my XJ550......ended up being the stator plate came loose on the left end of the crank.....hence buggering up the pick-up coils. <_<

Easy to check for this....just have a look under the left-side crankcase cover....(4) 5mm allen head bolts. ;)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online