Hello and advise

Mario V
This post is 5203 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello all,

First of all I wanted to say hi and introduce myself. Mario is the name and I am a proud owner of an 2008 MT-03. This is my first "large" bike and my bike before that was an Yamaha XT125 which got stolen unfortunately.

I love riding but with lovely weather lately I was unable to take the bike for a spin for long time. Of course my battery died and after hours of frustration as the battery is under the petrol tank I got the bike working last night. I had a big smile on my face riding it for 30 minutes although some issues did appear:

1. Burning smell (I presume is safe but you never know)

2. My Oxford heated grips switched on and then died and they will not switch on anymore.

I am shit with doing any mechanical work so I am worried I did something when I was trying to put in the new battery. Alarm is working and so are all the other electrics except of grips.

Ok here is the major issues I have with the MT-03 (some my fault):

1. As I have to park outside always under cover is rusting loads (surface rust)

2. I have been riding for couple of years but with the MT-03 my back wheel gets locked very easily had some close calls!!

3. Battery location is killing me

4. Lovely bike but it is missing some grunt as I do 8 miles on the M4 each day it can be slow.

I am thinking of upgrading it to an XJ6 naked with maybe ABS but I just wanted to know if the XJ6 is naked as well will I really have any better performance on the high way? I know it can do 130mph versus 103mph on the MT03 but will I be able to hold on :)

Will ABS really help my constant locking of the back wheel? I know it is my fault the way I ride it but while I am modifying my riding I prefer to be safe.

Does anybody know where the battery on the XJ6 is located as I would need an easier way to recharge the battery every winter. Again I am pretty bad doing mechanical work and after last weekends replacing the battery on the MT03 I dont want to ever do it again :)

So many questions sorry for a first post sorry.

If anybody wants to know info about the MT03 pls come and ask me.

PS . I really love the looks of the MT-03 and the high ride which is why I thought of upgrading to a XJ6

thanks all,

Mazza

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Welcome along,

1. Burning smell (I presume is safe but you never know)

Probably just crap on the exhaust pipe, unless there are flames and lots of smoke I'd not worry too much about it.

2. My Oxford heated grips switched on and then died and they will not switch on anymore.

Theses grips have some cleaver electronics, as your battery is dieing the grips will switch off by themselves.

2. I have been riding for couple of years but with the MT-03 my back wheel gets locked very easily had some close calls!!

Ah, concentrate on braking with your front wheel, use you back brake for slow speed control (being a single, these bikes need some rear brake to keep them smooth at slow speed) - You should be breaking with gradual force on the front until the bike starts to dip, then increase the pressure, apply a little rear brake will also help to stop quicker. 90% of all motorcyclists do not use the front brake to it's most efficiency, you are not alone.

I am thinking of upgrading it to an XJ6 naked with maybe ABS but I just wanted to know if the XJ6 is naked as well will I really have any better performance on the high way? I know it can do 130mph versus 103mph on the MT03 but will I be able to hold on :)

The XJ6 is a 4 cylinder bike with twice as much power, it will be smoother, quicker, quiter - but will not have the same 'sole' as the MT.

You can increase the power and torque of the engine with a free flowing air filter (DNA not that K&N rubbish) and PowerCommander. The 660 motor needs to breath, you'll get loads more mid to top end by this £300 modification - much more than putting on an aftermarke exhaust.

Will ABS really help my constant locking of the back wheel? I know it is my fault the way I ride it but while I am modifying my riding I prefer to be safe.

It will, but the problem is with your riding. Best to sort that out with a little practice then you'll be safe on any bike! I had a bike with ABS (three in fact) and they are good, but they do not stop any quicker than a bike that doesn't have ABS. Contact your local IAM group, they will help you out, or better still get a 'Skill for Life' course with the IAM, you'll get lower insurance premiums and learn how to ride and stop the bike safely with no fuss. Or failing that, buy a copy of 'Roadcraft - The Police Riders Handbook" learn it - it will help.

It's not about geting another bike, it's about becoming a better rider, and it's cheaper to become a better rider! (and you stay alive longer!)

Good luck

It's not about geting another bike, it's about becoming a better rider, and it's cheaper to become a better rider! (and you stay alive longer!)

Good luck

You are completely right. I am just been lazy and I would like a bit more power from the MT03 but I like the looks of it too much. Its just annoying that the battery is so hard to get to especially when I need to remove for x weeks if the weather is crap or I am away travelling.

The grips issue is a weird one as the new battery is fully charged (charged it with an optimate prior installing in it on Saturday) so I think I might have blown a fuse... I need new rear breaks pads so when I give it in to replace those I might ask them to have a look ($$$$ ;) ) ...

I would like smoother bike but like you said the MT has something about it that makes me smile everytime I ride it (put 2 up and it will struggle so badly). Took my friends GSXR 750 for a ride few weeks back and I didnt enjoy it at all although it is a beast of a machine and didnt have to change gears every 5 secs. Anyway I better keep the MT-03 otherwise wife will kill me :)

Once again thanks guys/gals

Mazza

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online