Thoughts on my XS400

Jonesy_10
This post is 5219 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So I've got a 1978 XS400 that I rode last summer, my first bike. I've now got a newer, bigger Honda that I will be riding. Anyway, so I was trying to decide what to do with the XS. I can't see me getting very much money for it, as it isn't in amazing condition. Plus, everyone I talk to regrets selling their first bike...

Anyway, here's the bike's story. I put 15,000km on it last summer, and I think that sort of did the engine in. It burns quite a bit of oil, the head gasket is shot, some minor transmission troubles, etc. The engine has just under 50,000km on it. Savable? What do you guys think? With new rings, gaskets, etc.?

I'm really really considering cafe-ing the bike. It might not be the best bike for it, but I think cafe'd bikes look fantastic, and I'd love to take one on. The only thing holding me back is the gas tank. My XS is the American

IMG_0963.jpg?t=1264464712

with the teardrop tank. However, I think in order to cafe it, I would need the flatter, squarer, European tank.

Yamaha%20XS400%2077%20%201.jpg

Does anyone know if this tank will fit on the american frame?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Anyway, here's the bike's story. I put 15,000km on it last summer, and I think that sort of did the engine in.

That's only about 9500 miles. With a decent oil, that's not too much. I have put 12K on mine in the year and a couple months I have had 'er and still starts fairly easy and still get 60mpg.

the head gasket is shot,

How do you know this? Compression check?

some minor transmission troubles,

Define minor transmission troubles. If you mean false neutrals, you might just need to adjust the clutch and/or shift linkage.

The engine has just under 50,000km on it. Savable? What do you guys think? With new rings, gaskets, etc.?

That's right around 30K miles, and that's where I am. The bike's in the shop right now for a top end rebuild, among other things.

I'm really really considering cafe-ing the bike.

PLEASE leave it more or less stock. IMHO way too many nice old XS400s and XS650s have been bobbed and cafe-d. Only mod(s) I would consider w/your bike would be Ebay the luggage rack, get some saddlebags, different signals, either Daytona Touring or Superbike bars, and enjoy. I run Daytona Touring bars (3" rise, 3" pullback I think).

th_Comp2-NoseA1.jpg

keep the teardrop tank, it`s much nicer than the nasty square biscuit tin for a tank that was put on the European models..

looking at the photo of your bike it seems to be fairly nice looking, and personally i would keep the style it`s got.

having said that :wacko::icon_eek: that rear rack is really something :no::barf:

Haha, alright so the carrier is ugly. But I tell you what, it's come in handy alot of times, like on my camping trip this summer. By the head gasket being shot, I mean that oil leaks out from the head. Transmission trouble as in hitting neutral between gears, hard time getting it in first, and popping out of gear while riding.

cafe styles can look cool on the xs400, both pretty cool:

with the square tank i usually see on 77's (actually i dunno what style it is, it has a ratty look to it too):

Yamaha-xs-400-kelimas-is-mirusiu_01.jpg

and

this one doesnt have too many mods, with the stock teardrop tank but mikesxs.net sport seat and some handlebars:

stock bike mostly with teardrop tank but cafed (click to see it as i cant embed it like the other pic for some reason)

By the head gasket being shot, I mean that oil leaks out from the head. Transmission trouble as in hitting neutral between gears, hard time getting it in first, and popping out of gear while riding.

1) A top end build shouldn't involve THAT much cash; that should solve your oil leakage. If it ain't bad, I would just run Shell Rotella T 15W40 Diesel oil. Lot cheaper than motorcycle oil, more zinc too. The 15W when cold will help with leakage as well. I have put several thousand miles on my 400 with that oil and honestly IMHO it protects better than the motorcycle oil I used to run.

2) Things to check for your transmission trouble:

a) The clutch pushrod. Mine was in 2 pieces (is made of 2 metals apparently brazed together), and a good used one dramatically helped my trouble finding neutral. Til you tend to that, the old school method is to shift into Neutral while rolling.

B) Clutch adjustment. Dragging clutch can cause those probs too. The way the 400 clutch is adjusted, it's very possible that in tighening the lock bolt, the clutch was inadvertently tightened up.

c) Shift linkage adjustment, both inside the cover and with the lever on the shaft. Try the lever a spline down on the shaft, might be that where you have your shifter it doesn't positively engage the gears, thus false neutrals and 'popping out of gear'.

Bottom line: I wouldn't retire this bike.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online