DT175MX DT175E Exhaust restrictor

Airhead
This post is 5194 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Recently took off the top end from my bike, had a look into the exhaust header and found a subtle restriction lurking in there. Cant understand why Yamaha would have done this unless it was for a foreign market for some reason. This flies in the face of any good tuning practice as it will give rotten gas flow characteristics. ....Now...wheres my hole saws? :blink:

Any how heres some pics

ExhaustDiameter_1.jpg

ExhaustDiameter_2.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The idea that any restriction in the exhaust that a manufacturer went to the trouble to insert is a mistake would fly in the face of what they are trying to accomplish which is a good running bike that performs properly. I would call the feature an anti-revision port and guess that it's purpose is to allow expansion past a certain point to prevent reversing flow. Honestly I would leave it alone and worry about other things. It's a small bike to begin with and you're not going to see big performance gains from a small motor no matter what your do. More likely it'll be cantankerous as hell.

A wise man once told me that deviating from stock was a sure way to end up with trouble. Unless you're versed in retuning carbs, jetting, and all that stuff I would leave it alone.,

My .02

Just been out and had a look at my pipe, 46mm outside diameter, 42mm inside which actually matches up to the exhaust port quite nicely. Thing is mine also has the pipe in a pipe thing going on. Its about 2inches long, must have something to do with the dynamics of the pipe.

A wise man once told me that deviating from stock was a sure way to end up with trouble. Unless you're versed in retuning carbs, jetting, and all that stuff I would leave it alone.,

My .02

Bet he never owned a aircooled DT though B). They are like fruit pastles, you just got to chew em up. :D

The idea that any restriction in the exhaust that a manufacturer went to the trouble to insert is a mistake would fly in the face of what they are trying to accomplish which is a good running bike that performs properly. I would call the feature an anti-revision port and guess that it's purpose is to allow expansion past a certain point to prevent reversing flow. Honestly I would leave it alone and worry about other things. It's a small bike to begin with and you're not going to see big performance gains from a small motor no matter what your do. More likely it'll be cantankerous as hell.

My .02

But the supposed dynamics of an expansion pipe is precisely to do just that, ie reverse the flow of gasses and push the unburned fresh charge back into the cylinder before the port is blocked off by the rising piston, so i dont see any benefit to leaving this in there and i think it has origins in de-tuning more likely. There should be as little as possible obstuction from the exhaust port to the header to cause turbulance.

Just been out and had a look at my pipe, 46mm outside diameter, 42mm inside which actually matches up to the exhaust port quite nicely. Thing is mine also has the pipe in a pipe thing going on. Its about 2inches long, must have something to do with the dynamics of the pipe.

Cant figure the differences in sizes here Jason, dont tell mee there is a different part number for a 125 and a 175 pipe !! and unbeknown to me i've got a 125 pipe here :o

Bet he never owned a aircooled DT though B). They are like fruit pastles, you just got to chew em up. :D

Love that comment...too true ;)

Cant figure the differences in sizes here Jason, dont tell mee there is a different part number for a 125 and a 175 pipe !! and unbeknown to me i've got a 125 pipe here :o

Oh no master, mine be Gianelli, the once pipe of choice for the disscerning 80's headcase.

Oh no master, mine be Gianelli, the once pipe of choice for the disscerning 80's headcase.

I had a Gianelli once but i used my bike a lot back then and didnt regularly paint it, so like all the others it ended up rotten, you just dont see them any longer, even on ebay, last one i saw on ebay had been powder coated...as the Americans might say...go figure! :blink:

You say your Gianelli has a pipe in a pipe, but my stock one has a big air gap between the two like this :o

Exhaustrestrictor_3.jpg

I had a Gianelli once but i used my bike a lot back then and didnt regularly paint it, so like all the others it ended up rotten, you just dont see them any longer, even on ebay, last one i saw on ebay had been powder coated...as the Americans might say...go figure! :blink:

You say your Gianelli has a pipe in a pipe, but my stock one has a big air gap between the two like this :o

Exhaustrestrictor_3.jpg

Thats it, couldn't have drawn it better myself. I'll measure it properly tommorow, it was a quicky with a tape measure earlier.

As to powder coating an exhaust, only in America. Although how many bikes have been lost to the monsters that never use them except to put on a trailer for a show.

I'll admit i dont take the TDR out at this time of year but if the DT was running it would be up and about. I've been wet and cold often enough to know how stupid it is to walk past a perfectly good car when the floor is so slick you can hardly stand though.

Seeing as i've started waffling i'll continue, i have orderd all the components i need to build a new loom FROM SCRATCH for £26. Can't go wrong really. When i stripped mine out it had 2 broken wires and some of the internal loom conections were loose. Pluss a lot of the wire especially over the engine has gone hard.

could it be, and this is just my opinion mind you, that the double pipe area is there to act as a heat sink/fin to keep the pipe from burning up at the point there where it exits the engine?

there are really hot gasses (read flames) exiting continuously right there, a double wall would protect the pipe by allowing it to dissipate the heat it absorbs without doing much to cool the exhaust gasses themselves.

just my 2 cents....

could it be, and this is just my opinion mind you, that the double pipe area is there to act as a heat sink/fin to keep the pipe from burning up at the point there where it exits the engine?

there are really hot gasses (read flames) exiting continuously right there, a double wall would protect the pipe by allowing it to dissipate the heat it absorbs without doing much to cool the exhaust gasses themselves.

just my 2 cents....

Happy new year Dave.

That exact thought did occur to me, but if thats is so its not all that effective as its only about two inches long. and still requires painting often, the most serious damage done in the uk is the rain that is thrown against the header pipe...not something that you suffer from so much eh?

the most serious damage done in the uk is the rain that is thrown against the header pipe...not something that you suffer from so much eh?

What is this "rain" you speak of?

Was looking on a DT125 website about de restricting ;)

And lo and behold...what do i find there...the same bloody restrictor and a piccy of it, seems like us 175 riders are a tad behind the times here

http://www.dtr125.net/tuningf.htm

boils down to not being a spotty 17 year old trying to extract every las .00000001 of a bhp out of the bike to make it go .0009 of a mph faster and last less than 50% of its normal life

boils down to not being a spotty 17 year old trying to extract every las .00000001 of a bhp out of the bike to make it go .0009 of a mph faster and last less than 50% of its normal life

Its coming out merv :lol: heaven forbid...are you really suggesting i should go through my whole motorcycling life wondering....WHAT IF! :blink::D

Its coming out merv :lol: heaven forbid...are you really suggesting i should go through my whole motorcycling life wondering....WHAT IF! :blink::D

oh yes get it put Paul, no points in wondering what if mate, iwas just saying why we wrinklies are behind the 125 owners

merv

• 2 weeks later...

Paul

Mick Abbey has replied to your post about this on the RD forum, in his opinion you will not make a huge difference removing it

Hi Paul

The only way to take it out would be to grind it out around the weld as for performance I am not sure if you will notice any diferance it may give you a bit more top end power at the same time taking a small amount of lower end torqe, this is the same thing as why on most road engines the ex port outlet diam is smaller than the diam of the start of the header pipe it all helps with low to mid range torqe

I hope that this has answerd your question

Cheers

Paul

Mick Abbey has replied to your post about this on the RD forum, in his opinion you will not make a huge difference removing it

yes i saw his reply Merv, still going to remove it though, it's part of other changes i'm doing not just something in isolation and i just have a hunch that removing it will help. Other mods are carburation, airbox and reeds.

These bikes are in a pretty low state of tune as standard especially the early ones like mine

I've had the bike for 27 years now so its long overdue some tinkering ( i know you'll understand ) B)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online