R125 insurance - £1700....?

malthus101
This post is 4709 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys

I'm looking to buy my first bike and I want it to be the R125.

I've found one I love that costs £3600 new.

However, because they ran out of UK models, the dealership got a European version in. Same price but has a different paint job that I like more than the UK ones! That's the only difference.

I went home, typed in the spec for insurance and got a quote of £1700 a year! This is ridiculous! I am 33, not a 17 year old! Could some of you with experience of these things tell me which of the following facts are the most likely contributor to this high price (or is this a normal quote..?)

1. European bike not UK

2. My first bike

3. Won't be stored in a garage but outside my flat (in a courtyard not on the road)

4. Didn't say I had any alarms etc as I don't yet but would when I knew I was buying it

5. It's a Yamaha R125 so popular to steal

6. I live near to Brixton in London so this might put it into a high insurance bracket

7. I am self-employed (?)

Thanks, I really hope that £300-400 a year is a more liekly quote or else it's no bike for me!

Malthus101

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi malthus

even for greater london, at your age it seems high.

when you get qoutes, bear in mind many insurance companies will not class it as an import if it has imported from within the EU or if it is to UK spec - you need to check this out. Good qoutes can be got from bikeinsurer.co.uk or google rampdale and phone them.

Did you buy from an official yamaha dealer? if yes are you sure it isn't 'redirected stock' - ie yamaha europe didnt reallocate it to yamaha uk and that is all that the 'import' aspect means?

hope this is of use.

ps there is a yzf-r125 specific forum in cyberland somewhere.

Hi

It's not uniquely a yamaha dealership I don't think but they stock a lot. yeah, it could be a re-directed, the guy said they got it because Yamaha UK ran out of normal ones to give them - would that make sense?

Any idea what the URL is of this R125 forum? (just so I don't have to go trawling again!)

Thanks

Malthus101

Hi

That was from Benetts but yes, I will shop around and I will do it by phone as speaking to a person is always better!

But for now, can someone give me a rough estimation of what I should be paying? I mean, what is normal for a Yamaha R125, 33 year old first time rider in London with no garage? Just a ball-park figure?

I have no idea! Are MCN any good as bike insurers?

Thanks

Malthus101

Certain bikes cost more to insure, it like that, and that's how it is! There is no apparent reason to it, other than if it has lots of plastic on it it will cost you loads more....

Carol Nash have a discount broker - JustBikeInsurance, they quoted me £70 TPFT for a dirt bike when lots of others wouldn't quote (high risk group) and thos ethat did were quoting £150 to £200. JustBike take away the stuff you don't need or want (leather cover, legal cover, recovery etc). Give them a try.

Self employed, that will increase your premium, as will none-secured parking.

Try picking a few bikes and looking for an on-line quote for them, you might actually find a bike you like (with more power?) that costs less to buy and less to insure ? Consider maybe a naked Fazer, XJ, Hornet, Bandit etc, you'll get an idea of the costs, even if you don't like the bikes. If a shiny bling bike is what you want, you are just going to have to dig deep and pay the fiddler, as they say !

when asking any insurance company for a quote certain factors are taken in to account, the fact that the bike is parked over night outside will increase the premium, the fact the bike is not alarmed or has an approved chain,post codes model of bike as some are more likely to be stolen than others,other factors that bump up premiums are all the add ons legal protection, breakdown cover etc. its all about risks the less risks then there money is safe.

as gas up suggests try other models,other companys for quotes dont be put off,some of my quotes this year varied by some crazy amounts, bennets wanted £89 more to insure my 125cc than they did to insure my 600cc. so shop about.

welcome to the forum and the crazy world of motorcycling.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

I went back to the shop today and asked the folks who work there - they said normal insurance for the R125 is about £300-400 and that's for the under 30s.

I also found a 'sold' sign on the bike I was only looking at yesterday - that sucks a great deal, I can tell you!

They said to give MCE a try but with no bike to buy... why bother!

Thanks...

Matt

I wouldn't bother with a 4stroke 125 if I were you.

I remember not long back I sold a 600 bandit to a lad about 30 years old, who had just passed his test. His insurance quote on his bike he used before he passed his test (cbr125, similar type of thing) was about £700, whereas his quote for the bandit was about £150.

I would imagine R125 are such a high risk because 17 year olds smash them up, and regardless of wether you're 17 or not, that bike is statisticly more likely to cost them.

I would really suggest getting a bigger bike, the money you will save will pay for your licence if you don't have one allready. If you really must have a 125, the Aprilia RS125 is a much better bike anyway.

I realised 125s seemed to cost a bomb to insure a couple of winters ago when I was trying to find the cheapest winter-hack, I could only get a CB/CG125 down to about £130 a year (third party only), whereas a GSX250 (quite a good bike actually), was only £23 a year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hi mate, i own a yamaha yzf r125.. my insurance cost me £420 fully comp this year i am with a company called mce insurance.. they are on google, here is there link

http://www.mceinsurance.com

hope this has help you and anyone else who has or is reading this post. but living where you do might put you in a higher bracket of insurance like you said. im shore my link will help you though

• 4 weeks later...

I have a blue r 125 and my insurance is a lovely £245 fully comp with passanger included I am 18 now but when I took my cover out I was 17 so your quote is rediculous. I'm insured with swinton. With your quote i got my car and bike covered at 18.

Maybe its only over here, but i had enquired recently about deals on YZF-R125 for my nephew starting out & they were offering free insurance or 0% finance when you placed order!

This is only for over 21 and some say you have to of been a rider for a certain amount of years.

This is only for over 21 and some say you have to of been a rider for a certain amount of years.

you dont have to be a certain age cus they offered it to me and i'm only 17 and its my first bike, but its only third party so i thought why bother

I'm only 17 and live in a not so nice area of Birmingham and my bikes in the garden.

but still its only 750£ with MCE to insure, including leathers cover.

i would defiantly look around the local dealers to get the official UK models if i was you,

also the speedo might be in kph not mph so it'll be awkward to work out speed if anything

good luck on your quote though (Y)

• 3 months later...

you dont have to be a certain age cus they offered it to me and i'm only 17 and its my first bike, but its only third party so i thought why bother

yes when i was 17 they offered me free insurance on my DTX 125 but i took the 0% instead cos it was only TP

i then rang up the company that was doing the free insurance for a qupte and they said they were doing deals with yamaha for this so they'd give me a discount so i insured mine fully comp really cheap

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online