wrf 400 leaky oil breather pipe

thumper boy
This post is 5297 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi there, can anyone tell me if its normal for my 2000 wrf 400 to drip a small puddle of oil out of the breather pipe after i have taken it for a ride? if it is normal has anyone got any ideas how i could stop this from happening eg, re routing the pipe some where else so the oil does not come out? has anyone done this before? i have only owned the bike for a short while so this bike is quite new to me and do not know what to expect, the oil is at the proper level and i am reading the dipstick when its warmed up. it also seems to use a little oil as well but no smoke or any other leaks any where. hope someone can help me on this one im baffled by it!. neil.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The 660 sinlge is a heavy breather, and it's very normal for the breather tube to fill up (it has a plug to stop it dripping).

Mot heard of this on the 450 though...

What kind of riding are yuo doing, high revs for long periods by chance ??

well i ride it four miles to work most days and yes it is quite high revs as its geared for off road, it has a 14 tooth sprocket on the front and a 46 on the rear so i do have to thrash it a bit to keep with traffic as i ride along main roads, but at weekends i take it out with a few mates to do some green laneing and don't need to thrash it too much as we plod through back roads and rough terrain, it seems to use the most oil during the week when i commute to work and back.

what kind of plug does your bike have fitted? mine is a wr 400 i don't think the 450 have this problem so much, i have read on a few other forums now and it seems as if this is normal for the 400 and 426 to do this it seems most of them do. im just thinking of ways i can stop this from happening ie a plug of some sort.

I'd say then that this is a normal reaction to high revs and a good thrashing. Try plugging the pipe with something (small rubber bung?) and see what condition the oils is. This is certainly the source of your oil use.

The WR's are race bikes and so require a bit more in the maintenance department than your average trail bike. Perhaps get your compression tested, if you have back pressure (from worn piston rings) this will blow oil out of the breather more than normal.

good point i may just get them tested to have a piece of mind thanks for your ideas its been a great help!.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online