Fiberglass gas tank - street legal?

armyofda12mnkeys
This post is 5294 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Curious if a fiberglass gas tank is street legal (in PA) and will pass inspection? My friend seems to think not.

This is the tank I might buy (guy uses them on alot of XS's/CB's so thought I'd give him a try):

Guy uses "new polyester resins that are engineered much better than the old stuff plus as a precaution, are coated with phenol epoxy applied by hand before the tank is assembled, then once more after the tank is assembled, then I pour coat into the bottom around the seam".

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Norton-Manx-style-Cafe-Racer-Gas-Tank_W0QQitemZ200398599766QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2ea8aff656

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I've got 6 bikes on the street with fiberglass tanks on them in Idaho right now. I couldn't imagine them being illegal anywhere. One thing about fiberglass is you need to watch the ethenol content because that crap will eat right through the resin. It completely destroyed the tank on my norton 750 commando.

I've got 6 bikes on the street with fiberglass tanks on them in Idaho right now. I couldn't imagine them being illegal anywhere. One thing about fiberglass is you need to watch the ethenol content because that crap will eat right through the resin. It completely destroyed the tank on my norton 750 commando.

The guy I buy off ebay claims he has never had a problem even though regular fiberglass do have more problems, still recommends i keep ethanol content greater than 10%?(or 15 i forget) out of it.

"My tanks are new polyester resins that are engineered much better than the old stuff plus as a precaution, are coated with phenol epoxy applied by hand before the tank is assembled, then once more after the tank is assembled, I pour coat into the bottom around the seam."

Tank sure is pretty.

Curious if a fiberglass gas tank is street legal (in PA) and will pass inspection? My friend seems to think not.

This is the tank I might buy (guy uses them on alot of XS's/CB's so thought I'd give him a try):

Guy uses "new polyester resins that are engineered much better than the old stuff plus as a precaution, are coated with phenol epoxy applied by hand before the tank is assembled, then once more after the tank is assembled, then I pour coat into the bottom around the seam".

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Norton-Manx-style-Cafe-Racer-Gas-Tank_W0QQitemZ200398599766QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2ea8aff656

You will have to check your local laws. I know that here in western Canada they are not legal. The problem is that in an accident they don't deform like the metal ones, They crack open and spill fuel all over the place. Still they look nice and the price is reasonable.

• 2 weeks later...

Take a lessen form the marine industry.

Ethanol is totally destroying marine engines with fiberglass gas tanks.

THEY DO NOT MIX !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also Tank Cream is eaten up by Ethanol.

Check with your state's DMV or inspection agency (if your state inspects motorcycles). Fiberglass fuel tanks are prohibited for street use in most states for the reason given in a previous reply: in a crash, they can shatter and leak. That not only endangers your life, but also anyone in the area. I suggest that you follow the advice of this manufacturer of fiberglass tanks.

http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/yamaz/RZ3501984-86.htm