FZR1000 running problems. Please help.

rowland75
This post is 5344 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys.

Last week I took my FZR out for the first ride in ages. It was fine. The next day it decided to break down and was diagnosed as a duff battery by the AA, it was also a bit erratic on idle (I put this down to the poor battery).

I put the battery on an Optimate for the week and tested it today. All seemed well so I left it running for a few minutes, until it died with the same symptoms as last weekend (not holding charge).

I bought a new battery today and started the bike, which at first seemed a lot smoother on tick over but after a few minutes became a bit lumpy.

Figuring the fuel had been standing a while I popped to the petrol station, and it cut out a few times like last week except it would restart today.

After riding very carefully for a couple of miles the revs started to stick at 3000 and it felt unresponsive when accelerating and changing gear. It also got incredibly hot, only cooling when I got moving.

I checked the fluid in the coolant reservoir which was at ambient temperature (I presumed this would be warmer).

Has anybody got any ideas what could be wrong?

Cheers

Pete

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Thanks Bob.

It has since been mentioned that the carbs possibly need cleaning due to being stood, and I did plan on flushing the cooling system and checking the thermostat, sender, pump etc. Aswell as giving it a service.

I was worried it was something more sinister, so I will give the easier things a try first.

Cheers

Pete

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online