'82 400 maxim...a few issues

crustrummer84
This post is 5095 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Last year, when I would start the bike, it would hemorrhage gas out the back end...or so we thought. This year, before really getting it running, we checked the oil, and it was way overfilled. Turned out, it was filled with gas. I changed the oil, and for a while, it was doing excellent. Now, it's starting to leak oil in the same spot, but not quite hemorrhaging. And it only leaks when it gets running. Can't find the problem description in the manuals, and I'm no mechanic, so I need to know what part to check and what to look for. We cleaned the carbs twice, but not entirely sure we knew what to look for.

Problem number two: the gas line leaks. Changed the hose recently, and it began to leak. Now we put on the screw clamps (so the seal is definitely tight), but it still kind of leaks, only from the petcock end.

Problem number three: (which I get the feeling may be a tune up deal), getting it idling. Eventually, it does idle, but it takes a lot of mid-ride tweaking. It has three phases of idling. There's in between, where it's not warm enough to run without the choke, but with the choke off, it dies. Then, it warms a bit, and I crank up the idle screw thingy, and it idles great. Then, it gets real warm, and I have to turn down the idle. What to check?

I call it Frank N. Stein. The bike has been through hell (not with me). It's been dropped AT LEAST twice, sat under a tarp for a Chicago year before I had it, had some rust in the tank, so who knows what that could have caused. So yeah, really any tips on things to test, tweak, check, anything anyone out there has learned from experience; good and bad. :-D

• 9 months later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Last year, when I would start the bike, it would hemorrhage gas out the back end...or so we thought. This year, before really getting it running, we checked the oil, and it was way overfilled. Turned out, it was filled with gas. I changed the oil, and for a while, it was doing excellent. Now, it's starting to leak oil in the same spot, but not quite hemorrhaging. And it only leaks when it gets running. Can't find the problem description in the manuals, and I'm no mechanic, so I need to know what part to check and what to look for. We cleaned the carbs twice, but not entirely sure we knew what to look for.

Problem number two: the gas line leaks. Changed the hose recently, and it began to leak. Now we put on the screw clamps (so the seal is definitely tight), but it still kind of leaks, only from the petcock end.

Problem number three: (which I get the feeling may be a tune up deal), getting it idling. Eventually, it does idle, but it takes a lot of mid-ride tweaking. It has three phases of idling. There's in between, where it's not warm enough to run without the choke, but with the choke off, it dies. Then, it warms a bit, and I crank up the idle screw thingy, and it idles great. Then, it gets real warm, and I have to turn down the idle. What to check?

I call it Frank N. Stein. The bike has been through hell (not with me). It's been dropped AT LEAST twice, sat under a tarp for a Chicago year before I had it, had some rust in the tank, so who knows what that could have caused. So yeah, really any tips on things to test, tweak, check, anything anyone out there has learned from experience; good and bad. :-D

Any change in status? I have an 82 xs400 too and need all the info that I can get.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online