Restricting a Aerox 50

Scooterist007
This post is 5551 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi this is proberly a strange request! But how do you restrict a 04 Aerox 50cc?

The reason I ask is because my daughter was stopped by the police last night and the got her to ride to the police station where they put her moped on a dyno to measure its top speed and it dregistered 41mph on their machine and seized her moped at a cost of £150 release fee :angry: Now I'm not happy so I need to restrict her machine in accordance to the manufacturers spec so they cant rob more money out me.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Interesting.

How was it dyno'd? because that should measure the power to the back wheel. If you consider that the bike with an 8 stone rider with a tail wind riding down hill will be able to travel faster than the bike with a 20 stone rider with a head wind riding uphill. My point is, was the test accurate?

Have a look Here it may help.

EDIT Look Here also. Maybe they have something against the Aerox and see it as "the bike" to test for making sure they can rip you off with another tax make sure you are road legal

There will be calibration certificates for the equipment as there is for all equipment used for law enforcement. You are entitled to see these certificates.

there is a lot of forces now pulling younger riders in as so many of these bikes have been altered,even a sports type exhaust can make a difference.

i take it your dayghter is only 16 in which case she is restricted to a p catergory the vechicle must not be able to do more than 50kph or 31 mph. is the bike standard or has it got a different exhaust on it than original as it is over by 10mph it sounds like the bike is not standard .

ask to see the calibration certificates and take what information you can from it ie when it was last done and where but to be honest you seem to be on a loser,there seems to be a clamp down on younger bikers which is very unfair.

How can you create a law that says "limited to 31MPH"? That is like saying a cooker must boil an egg without specifying whether that is a Quail or Ostrich egg and the amount of water in the pan.

It may not be a good idea but have you tried to slacken the throttle cable so there is a lot of slack in it? This way the carb will never be fully open. You can tighten it when you sell the bike and it could save you messing about with it.

How can you create a law that says "limited to 31MPH"? That is like saying a cooker must boil an egg without specifying whether that is a Quail or Ostrich egg and the amount of water in the pan.

the sad fact is these laws exist and if the EU have there way learner riders will no longer be able to ride a bike on l plates unless accompanied by an instructer 150,,000 riders will be affected,not only have we been lumbered with this new test but if all the other things come in not many new riders will be enjoying what we have, at least then they wont be able to pull in riders for having a moped that can do more than 31mph, but dont you have to be doing at least 31mph on the swerve part of the test? :unsure:

Yeah 31.6mph but you can't do that till you're 17.

I'm struggling to see how they measured the top speed. What conditions were used (weight of rider, ambient air temp etc...)?

As far as restricting it goes I'd find out how they were restricted in the first place and replicate that either by yourself or by purchasing the correct restrictor (there must be hundreds knocking about from all the derestricted peds!).

Have a word with the lads at Readspeed Scooters. They'll be able to tell you how the bike was restricted in the first place and if it's just a washer or something you should be able to knock one up yourself, if not I'm sure they could sell you the bits you need.

ye how did they mesure the speed as the speedo is in the front hub and as i was told buy the bloke who dyno'd my dads bike there can but up to 15mph discrepency reading from the dyno to a speedo reading

seems a bit iffy but if they have the correct equipment and the correct operator, it can be done, either a rolling road and a sticker on the tyre and calibrate the wheel size and do it optically with a rev counter. or calibrating the rollers

merv

Hi dirtyDT yes cheers for the links, but the pepipoo one is actually the one I started regaurding this subject, I am not happy with the police and their robbing ways, I just need to put her ped back to standard so if it happens again, it wont cost me £150! I am gonna fight this as I am convinced they cannot do this legaly.

Hi dirtyDT yes cheers for the links, but the pepipoo one is actually the one I started regaurding this subject, I am not happy with the police and their robbing ways, I just need to put her ped back to standard so if it happens again, it wont cost me £150! I am gonna fight this as I am convinced they cannot do this legaly.

To be honest I am not sure if it is the police on the ground, although some of them are power crazy. They have a hard job but get told what to do my their superiors and the government. It would be easy for a chief constable to bump up their targets by fining young riders when they should be out catching criminals including bike thief's. What was the cost of the police time in carrying out all the procedures and then I would question the results. The moped seems to pass every test except;

maximum design speed not exceeding 50 kilometres per hour (km/h) (about 31 miles per hour (mph)However, to me, the phrase "design speed" means that the moped was designed to do that speed. That would assume certain conditions. It must have passed all the UK Certificate of Conformity and EEC testing at the time it got accepted as a moped.

It does not say that the moped should not be able to do a greater speed! So what is the fine for? If they are saying that the bike has been tuned or deristricted then this needs to be proved and would invalidate any insurance and possibly driving licence and therefore did a summons get issued?

I find it strange that a police station needs to have a dyno machine. Very weird!

I find it strange that a police station needs to have a dyno machine. Very weird!

most of the stations in the area i live in have there own mechanics and well equipped workshops to look after there own cars vans and police bikes so i cant see whats weird in them having a dyno,but i would make sure the calibration certificates are up to date, loop holes in the law work both ways if they are reluctant to show you the certificates then maybe they are not up to date but as they are pulling in so many bikes maybe the chief constable has a hidden agenda to remove young bikers in his county to make his figures look good.

most of the stations in the area i live in have there own mechanics and well equipped workshops to look after there own cars vans and police bikes so i cant see whats weird in them having a dyno,but i would make sure the calibration certificates are up to date, loop holes in the law work both ways if they are reluctant to show you the certificates then maybe they are not up to date but as they are pulling in so many bikes maybe the chief constable has a hidden agenda to remove young bikers in his county to make his figures look good.

I understand that but why a dyno? So they can dyno a transit van?

They must have issued paperwork so what law was broken?

The fine is for having a machine that rider isnt able to ride, ie my daughter is 16 and has a provisinal licence with a CBT, They did also threaten 3 points and £60 fine but decided to be 'kind' as she hasnt been done for it before and would 'teach her lession' but the £150 was to recover the vehicle from a compound, but when I said at the time in the police station that I would ride it away, they said I could but still had to pay £150 even though the ped hadnt even been on the back of recovery wagen!

The police station doesnt have their own dyno machine, the police force is sussex police and the dyno machine and the polieman operator came from hampshire police! When I picked up her ped, I asked how many peds they had in, and last night they had nine peds! that a good nights work at £1350, Im sure at this rate they will have enough money to buy their own dyno

I understand that but why a dyno? So they can dyno a transit van?

They must have issued paperwork so what law was broken?

the traffic cars subarus, rapid response vechicles there bikes a lot of garages have dynos, for a short time i sold tools to garages and police work shops its not unusual for even the smaller dealers to have one.

sorry i dont understand the paperwork bit, if they do a dyno test on any vehicle then you should be given a copy stating what the results were ,my point about the calibration certificates were that every thing from speed guns to intiximeters need to be checked and made sure they are accurate and a calibration certificate issued if they have not done this then what ever paper work they have issued his daughter is worthless so it is worth asking to see the certificates on the off chance they are not up to date. but knowing the police they probably are but they do make mistakes.

The fine is for having a machine that rider isnt able to ride, ie my daughter is 16 and has a provisinal licence with a CBT, They did also threaten 3 points and £60 fine but decided to be 'kind' as she hasnt been done for it before and would 'teach her lession' but the £150 was to recover the vehicle from a compound, but when I said at the time in the police station that I would ride it away, they said I could but still had to pay £150 even though the ped hadnt even been on the back of recovery wagen!

The police station doesnt have their own dyno machine, the police force is sussex police and the dyno machine and the polieman operator came from hampshire police! When I picked up her ped, I asked how many peds they had in, and last night they had nine peds! that a good nights work at £1350, Im sure at this rate they will have enough money to buy their own dyno

looks like they have a hidden agenda what a load of bastards if you buy a bike and find out its been altered it should be down to the seller unless he told you it had been altered,most of the younger riders on here who have similar bikes have altered or derestricted theres but at least they know what has been done, its just another money making scheme sorry to hear you have been done.

The fine is for having a machine that rider isnt able to ride....

What law was broken?

If they believe that a traffic law has been broken they should not allow the rider to ride. That is like saying to a drunk driver - drive to the police station and we with breathalyse you!

the only paperwork she was given was a print out from the dyno machine stating the top speed, and a seizure notice, nothing else.

The dyno is a dynostar 2SP which is a dutch machine which is portable machine, it is not owned by sussex police but is owned by hampshire police

What law was broken?

If they believe that a traffic law has been broken they should not allow the rider to ride. That is like saying to a drunk driver - drive to the police station and we with breathalyse you!

your right ,what if she had said no she was not riding the bike to the police station! being older i would have wanted to know why they had stopped me and why they wanted me to go to the police station,with radios in there car they can check your insurance ,mot and tax. and an unmarked police car what the hell is going on and another countys force supplying the dyno it stinks.

your right ,what if she had said no she was not riding the bike to the police station! being older i would have wanted to know why they had stopped me and why they wanted me to go to the police station,with radios in there car they can check your insurance ,mot and tax. and an unmarked police car what the hell is going on and another countys force supplying the dyno it stinks.

I know what your saying and by god i wish I was there, cos i would of said the same, I also said to the traffic cop (who was driving a brand new unmarked golf R32) what gives them the right to make her drive to the police station if they suspected that she didnt have a driving licence to ride her ped, and his reply was, if we suspect a vehicle being over weight, they have the power to make the driver to drive to a weigh bridge and weigh the vehicle! which is a fair point! they knew she had insurance, tax mot and a licence, but that wasnt what they were looking for!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online