1982 400 Maxim fork replacement

Vincent Moy
This post is 5439 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So my front fork is leaking, not a lot and definitely seeping out. I am wondering how hard for a 1st timer to do so? Do I need any special tools to get the job done??

I searched around this forum and find some bit and pieces but nothing really specific.

thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I haven't had to change the seals on my maxim yet but it wasn't too bad on an old suzuki titan I had. Looking at the parts diagram, you need to remove the top spring clip to get the cap off and another at the oil seal to separate the tubes once you take the bottom bolt off. With my suzuki I just had to give the fork tube a few good yanks to hammer the old seal out. I bet there is a special tool to put the new seal in but you can tap it in if you apply even pressure. Just make sure the seal isn't in upside down. Correct me if I'm wrong so I know how to change mine later :D