98 thundercat

thundercat1
This post is 5432 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

i have a 1998 thundercat and for some reason it keeps dyeing. this only happens when im going down the motorway or dual carraigeway from 70mph upwards, i still have electrics but if i pull back the throttle it splutters and dies more, if i pull in the clutch it dies completely, i pull over and try to start it... occasionally it will start with choke but most of the time it does not, if i leave it for a little while i can get back on n start it (not easily) and it will run fine for around 4 miles. i had the problem about 2 months ago so i changed the oil, spark plugs and got the carbs balanced, this seemed to cure the problem but now it is back and its 100 times worse..

the only thing i can think it could be now is the coil??!

any suggestions as its nearly un rideable

cheers jake

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi,

I think it more likely your bike may be running out of fuel or cooking spark plugs.

1. Check that your plugs are not overheating. Next time it happens take out a plug straight away (not after you re-start) and look at the tip. If it is very light gray or white go for a grade or two colder plug (NGK 9 is colder than 8). This will cure it and won't effect anything else apart from cold weather starting when you will need more choke.

2. Check your fuel filter. You'll be surprised what crap gets into fuel and clogs the filter.

3. Check the pump. Attach a hose from the fuel tap to a bottle and turn the bike over watching how fast fuel gets into the bottle. It should be a good flow at about a pint a minute.

Regards.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online