Shot blasting large items

DirtyDT
This post is 5445 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I am interested in your comments please!!

I brought a cheap compressor off hbay this morning and it made me think. Inspired by OG's thread of shot blasting an exhaust I wondered if I could "adapt" a shed to shot blast larger items. The shed is old anyway but is this shape

shed.jpg

Anyway. I was thinking that if I tarpaulined it out and cut two holes for my hands in the perspex windows would I be able to use it as a large shot blast cabinet?

I know I can get items blasted and painted for not a lot of money and my finish may not be as good as a professional but it would allow me to blast anything at my leisure. Not just the present bike but any one I get for my next project.

I will get a bench cabinet for smaller items but any comments would be welcome!

Cheers.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

You'll 'New' k the whole neighbourhood, the magpies will have a field day :mellow:

Picture 1

100_0978.jpg

Picture 2

SpotBlaster.jpg

Picture 3

100_0995.jpg

Picture 4

100_1004.jpg

Picture 5

100_1039.jpg

Pic 1= the problem, pic 2 = part of the answer, pic 3 = the result, pic 4 = the result after the silly plastic gubbins (the bit that makes it a spot blaster) was removed, Pic 5 = The finished article... :D

You can use dried sand as a blasting medium, I do not recommend the use of the shed though, far better to fit a seat in there and install electric supply so your lovely wife can watch you at work outside while she is fully protected and making you brews from the safety of being inside... ;) ... :D

Pic 1= the problem, pic 2 = part of the answer, pic 3 = the result, pic 4 = the result after the silly plastic gubbins (the bit that makes it a spot blaster) was removed

The 'weedol' bottle ! :huh:

Pic 1= the problem, pic 2 = part of the answer, pic 3 = the result, pic 4 = the result after the silly plastic gubbins (the bit that makes it a spot blaster) was removed

The 'weedol' bottle ! :huh:

Nah! thats a collecting bag for the blasting medium...media...grit :D

barkwindjammer - I could lead line it

You can use dried sand as a blasting medium, I do not recommend the use of the shed though, far better to fit a seat in there and install electric supply so your lovely wife can watch you at work outside while she is fully protected and making you brews from the safety of being inside... ;) ... :D

I was trying to keep away from the dust. Power to the shed is not a problem just the safey issues.

She is my girlfriend/partner person and should be bringing me cold beers.

If anyone is interested there were a couple of the blaster kits like OG's on hbay for a tenner each.

I was trying to keep away from the dust. Power to the shed is not a problem just the safey issues.

There arent any safety issues, just wear a dust mask and goggles and make sure its a dry day and your neighbours washing line isnt too close

Luck git!

If anyone is interested there were a couple of the blaster kits like OG's on hbay for a tenner each.

I bet you can still get them from Aldi and not have to pay the postage...they were £10.60

barkwindjammer - I could lead line it

Are you barking ?

if you lead line it, with approx', 128 square M of 2mm sheet, you'll alter magnetic North, it doesnt matter where on the British Isles you are, its too much,

use 'conveyer belt or flooring rubber as a lining, it costs the same, but is environmentaly-non-catastrophic, unlike lead ! :mellow:

Luck git!

I bet you can still get them from Aldi and not have to pay the postage...they were £10.60

"Lucky git"

I know

I will be in Aldi's tomorrow

I am interested in your comments please!!

I brought a cheap compressor off hbay this morning and it made me think. Inspired by OG's thread of shot blasting an exhaust I wondered if I could "adapt" a shed to shot blast larger items. The shed is old anyway but is this shape

shed.jpg

Anyway. I was thinking that if I tarpaulined it out and cut two holes for my hands in the perspex windows would I be able to use it as a large shot blast cabinet?

I know I can get items blasted and painted for not a lot of money and my finish may not be as good as a professional but it would allow me to blast anything at my leisure. Not just the present bike but any one I get for my next project.

I will get a bench cabinet for smaller items but any comments would be welcome!

Cheers.

your 'bird' will want to propogate geraniums, you kno that dont you ?

good luck wi it, and let me be the first to know if you get it off the ground, I might be sending you bits to Newk ! :)

yep, youre right, the lady may be handy at carpentry herself donchaknow!

Coffin.jpg

like it, its versatile, that could take exhausts being that long, and that shape, would need a shroud for taller items i.e. a whole frame, you could easily incorporate a 'worm' into the base to extrude the 'medium' ;) back to the hopper.

Genius OG :)

Are you barking ?

if you lead line it, with approx', 128 square M of 2mm sheet, you'll alter magnetic North, it doesnt matter where on the British Isles you are, its too much,

use 'conveyer belt or flooring rubber as a lining, it costs the same, but is environmentaly-non-catastrophic, unlike lead ! :mellow:

Do you think I should use a bigger shed then? I was joking ;)

yep, youre right, the lady may be handy at carpentry herself donchaknow!

Coffin.jpg

She keeps measuring me up for an overcoat - she never said it was a wooden one :D

I would rather pop in to Adli's than phone them. They do have lots of bits.

I may get to collect the compressor today. I think it is going to be bigger than I thought. It is the type that holds the air in the tubular frame. If it does a turn, great, if not it was only about 20 quid.

Yep go for it m8, have no doubt you'll succeed, its extremely simple to set up, makes a lot of mess tho', I worked in a fab' shop years ago and they had a home made one, it had an old gas bottle (the blue caravan type) with the arse cut off and then fitted with screwed brackets and a gasket so it could be fitted back together again-pressure tight, this bottle had a small guage pipe brazed on which fed a small volume of air into the bottle, bottle on a stand as it gravity fed the nozzle, which was no more than a 'Y' branch, air in one branch, gravity fed ' kiln dried sand'-bought from Keyline building supplies (not cheap) down the other, hey presto Terminators exfoliater, simples :)

ps Bicarbonate of soda (sodium bicarbonate) works great and you can get this easily if you have a bakery nearbye, full protection when using this material tho', keep us posted ! ;)

Yep go for it m8, have no doubt you'll succeed, its extremely simple to set up, makes a lot of mess tho', I worked in a fab' shop years ago and they had a home made one, it had an old gas bottle (the blue caravan type) with the arse cut off and then fitted with screwed brackets and a gasket so it could be fitted back together again-pressure tight, this bottle had a small guage pipe brazed on which fed a small volume of air into the bottle, bottle on a stand as it gravity fed the nozzle, which was no more than a 'Y' branch, air in one branch, gravity fed ' kiln dried sand'-bought from Keyline building supplies (not cheap) down the other, hey presto Terminators exfoliater, simples :)

ps Bicarbonate of soda (sodium bicarbonate) works great and you can get this easily if you have a bakery nearbye, full protection when using this material tho', keep us posted ! ;)

I am aiming to fabricate a box if I get time. until then a hand held gun.

The guy delivered the compresser. Err it is very heavy - I grew another B*ll*ck carrying it in with the guys help. I need to 16 amp wire it though as it is blowing 13amp fuses on start up. I hope her in doors does not want to dry her hair or put the kettle on :mellow:

If I get on with it I will treat myself to a nice portable one in the future. If not, back on hbay. It cost me £21 including delivery.

Here she is

comp.jpg

You'll need a tank with that

It weighs the same as a tank.

The tank is the frame. all sealed and with the valve tapped into it.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online