New Here, Couple questions

This post is 5290 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey everyone, just wanted to introduce myself and ask a couple questions.

My name's Matt and I have a 1978 DT175E that was passed down to me from my dad. It's my first bike and I'd like to learn how to ride using that bike.

The problem is it doesn't run. It hasn't for many years. My dad thinks it needs a headgasket.

I checked myself and made sure I was getting air, fuel, and spark (which I do get all 3). So the only thing I can think of is compression. I'm going to order a complete engine gasket set and replace the headgasket, intake and exhaust gaskets. I'll keep the extra gaskets for down the road.

Is there a service manual for the DT175E that is available online somewhere?

If not: Can someone give me the torque specs and the pattern to torque down the headgasket? I also need to know the torque specs on the intake and exhaust gaskets.

Also, the battery is dead and the terminals are corroded. Do I need to replace the battery for the bike to run? Or will it run fine without a good battery? Being kick start, I don't think having a battery matters, but I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance. I'm new to the bike scene, but I'm alright with cars, so hopefully my car knowledge will give me an advantage when working on bikes.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Also, the battery is dead and the terminals are corroded. Do I need to replace the battery for the bike to run? Or will it run fine without a good battery? Being kick start, I don't think having a battery matters, but I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance. I'm new to the bike scene, but I'm alright with cars, so hopefully my car knowledge will give me an advantage when working on bikes.

only if you dont want lights.

the battery (at least on my 74 dt 175a) acts as a buffer or capacitor for the energy produced by the magneto.

with a fried battery, my dt produces 14v at idle and a whopping 36v at full rev. to the headlight circuit. (which is a/c)

also sends high volts to the tail light, brake light and blinkers ( in d/c)

my first indicator that i have a bad abttery, is blown bulbs.

hope this helps.

i was new to cycles when i got my st in october of last year.

well.... i say new because the last one i had was when i was a teen, and that was over 20 years ago, then i had a ct100?

but i never did much work on it.

most of what i know now is from memories and recent self repair experience.

.... Is there a service manual for the DT175E that is available online somewhere?

Also, the battery is dead and the terminals are corroded. Do I need to replace the battery for the bike to run? Or will it run fine without a good battery? Being kick start, I don't think having a battery matters, but I'm not sure....

Hi,

Good to see another DT175 bike.

I think the Clymer manual is the one to go for. Not specific to this bike. This one I think.

Here. They are available on your side of the pond.

It will run without a battery. Just the mag to the CDI to the coil. There seems to be a lot of variations for wires on these bikes. I have a 5 wire mag and 6 wire CDI so I can tell you what you need to do in this senario.

Thanks for the replies. :D

Is that the only place for a manual? I didn't exactly want to buy one just to read off a couple torque specs and head gasket tightening sequence :P I was hoping someone may have one already and would be kind enough to share the info.

You can torque the head down to around 20 ft/lbs. Just criss cross the pattern and your fine. If I can remember I'll look the actual torque spec up tomorrow at work.

Hi,

Good to see another DT175 bike.

I think the Clymer manual is the one to go for. Not specific to this bike. This one I think.

Here. They are available on your side of the pond.

It will run without a battery. Just the mag to the CDI to the coil. There seems to be a lot of variations for wires on these bikes. I have a 5 wire mag and 6 wire CDI so I can tell you what you need to do in this senario.

Hi

I would guess that bike is using points but buy the same token they dont need a battery to run also ..

Regards Jim

Hey everyone, just wanted to introduce myself and ask a couple questions.

My name's Matt and I have a 1978 DT175E that was passed down to me from my dad. It's my first bike and I'd like to learn how to ride using that bike.

The problem is it doesn't run. It hasn't for many years. My dad thinks it needs a headgasket.

I checked myself and made sure I was getting air, fuel, and spark (which I do get all 3). So the only thing I can think of is compression. I'm going to order a complete engine gasket set and replace the headgasket, intake and exhaust gaskets. I'll keep the extra gaskets for down the road.

Is there a service manual for the DT175E that is available online somewhere?

If not: Can someone give me the torque specs and the pattern to torque down the headgasket? I also need to know the torque specs on the intake and exhaust gaskets.

Hi the bike you have is pretty much the same as a UK 78 DT175MX. Cdi ig, monoshock rear, 6speed and yes it will run without a battery but you will blow out the headlight and or the voltage regulator, the next one down the line from that is your CDi.

As far as torque specs the barrel base bolts (4of) are 29 lbf ftn with the cylinder head nuts (6of) at 15-18.

I can't help with an accurate torque figure on the inlet and exhaust. Somebody else may have that info but i've always gone with the amount of effort it took to undo if i'm stuck.

Hi the bike you have is pretty much the same as a UK 78 DT175MX. Cdi ig, monoshock rear, 6speed and yes it will run without a battery but you will blow out the headlight and or the voltage regulator, the next one down the line from that is your CDi.

As far as torque specs the barrel base bolts (4of) are 29 lbf ftn with the cylinder head nuts (6of) at 15-18.

I can't help with an accurate torque figure on the inlet and exhaust. Somebody else may have that info but i've always gone with the amount of effort it took to undo if i'm stuck.

When you say "Run it without a battery" do you mean running with a dead battery? or do you mean running it without a battery installed?

Its just the battery I have has corroded terminals and the fluid level inside is at about 1/3 of where the fluid line should be. Plus the bike has been sitting for many years.

And thanks for the torque specs :D

When you say "Run it without a battery" do you mean running with a dead battery? or do you mean running it without a battery installed?

Its just the battery I have has corroded terminals and the fluid level inside is at about 1/3 of where the fluid line should be. Plus the bike has been sitting for many years.

Hi,

it will run with the battery on a beech on vacation .. it deoes not need the battery voltage to start ... the battery just suplies power to certain ancilary lights and also acts as a 'soak' to stop the AC light bulbs blowing ! So I guess it will start with or without a battery !

Regards Jim

Hi,

it will run with the battery on a beech on vacation .. it deoes not need the battery voltage to start ... the battery just suplies power to certain ancilary lights and also acts as a 'soak' to stop the AC light bulbs blowing ! So I guess it will start with or without a battery !

Regards Jim

mine starts fine with the battery unplugged.

but like you and I said Jim, the battery acts as a buffer or soak.

so if you dont mind replacing a headlight everytime you rev it up....

or leave the lights off.

just so you know though, revenger, the battery im currently using dosent have to be refilled.

http://www.batteriesplus.com/p-32650-werke...7-terminal.aspx

i got tired of maintaining the ones i was buying before. the acid was sloshing out, or something.

they were always going dead. i was returning them once per month.

the one i shown above i have had for several months. works fine. I had to make some cardboard shims to keep it from ratteling around in the battery box, I made sure that it was nice and tight.

my bike dosent have a cdi, its an old points bike.

but i dont see how that would make any difference.

Yes a bad battery will do at a push as it will soak up the overcharge from the mag. But you will still be working the regulator hard and from personal experience they are rarer than rocking horse sh1t and twice the price.

Right had a good look at the wiring and the ignition system is completely self contained on your bike, the system runs very similar to points.

The carging/lighting circuit has no connection to the ignition system whatsoever, it generates its own power, but the voltage regulator will struggle without the battery to soak the excess in the lighting/charging circuit. And i repeat they are expensive and rare, it took me 6months to find one.

here is a link to a service manual- the bikes are very similar

http://www.dtr125.net/workshop-manualf.htm

No, with respect they are very much different bikes, they have a similar 'family' look but not a lot else.

Hi Bob

:welcome: to the forum !

but as stated those DT's are totally different animals and just tend to share the same tank badge

Regards Jim

Hi Jim , I stand corrected , I have just bought a DT200 WR-1 or so it says on the logbook ! 1st bike for 30 years and this manual is giving me a good guide for a rebuild . I am in Cyprus and it is make do and mend , something I was used to on the farm in UK . My lad in UK is researching the frame no this weekend to find my exact model .

Hi Jim , I stand corrected , I have just bought a DT200 WR-1 or so it says on the logbook ! 1st bike for 30 years and this manual is giving me a good guide for a rebuild . I am in Cyprus and it is make do and mend , something I was used to on the farm in UK . My lad in UK is researching the frame no this weekend to find my exact model .

Hi Bob,

let us know what goes on and what you really have !!!

Regards Jim

Thanks for all the replies guys. My gasket kit should be here in the next couple of days along with a new spark plug (figures for $2, what the hell, might as well do that too).

What's the gap for the spark plug?

Thanks for all the replies guys. My gasket kit should be here in the next couple of days along with a new spark plug (figures for $2, what the hell, might as well do that too).

What's the gap for the spark plug?

Hi,

if the plug still has a protective cover over the electrode you should not need to gap it but you could check that the gap is about 0.7mm – 0.8mm

Regards Jim