One Step Back - XS400 Wiring mystery

lostlife
This post is 5468 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys-

I got a finicky 81 XS400-

So last time i worked on the bike, I had fiddled enuf with it to finally get a strong spark (this is after I had already had it fired up once, so I know that the possibility is there). Went out today and couldn't get the damn thing to give me spark on either side... Retested the coils, and they used to seem ok - the primarys are almost right on, but the secondary windings (orange to the plug wire, right?) don't give me any reading whatsoever. I pulled the wire off, and tested on the post itself and the orange wire - still nothing. What?!?

Here's some other problems that I ran into and tried to bypass-

The RH controls are rotten as hell - thinking it might be the three position kill/run/kill switch, i pulled it off to clean it and it literally fell apart. Same with the start button. So these are gone, anyway. I Tied the (2x RED/WHITE )wires from the K/R/K switch together, thinking that should essentially keep it in the RUN position, right?

Also - I know(?) my solenoid is bad - the resistance is off by specs by about 25 - 30%. Placing a temporary button between the terminals, i got the starter to turn over and run consistently (same as shorting it with a screwdriver). Should this produce a spark? It worked before a couple times, but it doesn't today... Does this setup truly let the solenoid allow a spark, or just turn the engine? I'm starting to think that its just the button aspect of the solenoid thats bad - i tried to wire a temporary button between the connections and it didn't even click - maybe that part of it is fried?

Last thing -

Havent ever gotten spark off a kick. I plan to just take the starter and button off anyway, so really what i want is just the kick start. Im worrying about the starting system for now just cuz its easier. If my batt has a good charge (12.3 +), what else could be in line for no spark off a kick?

I plan to simplify the wiring anyway, but I'd really like to at least be able to get a consistant spark off it before i do so. This is why I'm hesitant to buy a new solenoid or switches or anything... Necessary parts are different, but parts i am just gonna take off later, I really don't wanna shell out the money for. I got the bike for a song, I'd like to keep it that way, ya know?

Thanks guys-

justin

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online