BATTERY KEEPS DRAINING

This post is 5467 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi i am new to this so please help me, i just recently bought a Yamaha 650 v star, on my way home from driving it bout 2hrs the bike went completely dead i had to jump start it just to get it home, i bought a charger and let it fully charge overnight, the charge only lasted 2 days, i just recently purchased a new battery and with a new battery it will only run about 3-4 days and then theres not enough juice to turn it over, i have checked the voltage reading while running and revved a bit, it reads anywhere from 13-14, is this normal for a bike to have to charge it every few days or do i need to look at other options here, i do have another older honda 400 and have never had to even put it on a charger yet, can someone please help

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi,

Your charging system should read between 13.5 - 14.2V at battery terminals with a multimeter and engine running.

Charge up battery and check votage one hour after charge. Leave overnight and check in morning. Should be very little or no voltage loss with good battery. Should show around 12.5V. If much lower you have a leakage, something is using power. To confirm this, charge up and remove one battery terminal then check voltage again in morning.

Remove one terminal and change your multimeter to read AMPS --the multimeter RED lead will have to be plugged into the other socket on the unit for this. With bike off any leak will show in milliamps (1000=1 amp). Ideally you should have a zero reading.

If you confirm a leak quickest fix is to put a switched loop into the system.

Go to fuse box and locate MAIN fuse, pick an end, cut the wire and insert a long wire between the two cut ends making sure the joins are good and INSULATED.

On this wire, somewhere covenient, put a simple good quality two pin switch.

Now you will be able to isolate the battery from the bike but you will have to turn it on and off when you use the bike as well as the key switch.

This is a quick fix you should continue to look for whatever is eating power with the bike OFF.

Aftermarket accessories are a good place to start. Then the key switch itself and then look for any wires that may have rubbed on the frame and have exposed wires showing.

Lots of luck!!!

thank you for the tips so i measured the amps and there is no drain however i tried reading the voltage once again battery reads around 12.6 then start it and try to read the voltage when running and revved up a bit and now im not getting anything on the reading it stays the same im thinking it could possibly be the rectifier is this a possibility

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online