Help me choose a bike????/

MITSY
This post is 5506 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey people,

I'm new to biking and looking at getting my first bike. Need some advice on what to get.

I don't want something super super powerful as i understand i need to develop skill and ability etc etc. In the same breath i don't want a bike i'm going to bored of within six months.

I'm thinking of getting a new one as there are some good deals around at the moment.

Im considering the following:

- Yamaha XJ600 naked

- Yamaha fz6 (0 % finance for two years)

Looks are important to me, as is the exhaust note!!!. Just concerned with getting bored of somethign bland!!

I will be using it as a commuter when the weathers ok as well as a bit of fun on a Sunday.

What are your thoughts on the two bikes againt each other and what others would you recomend me to look at?

Thanks

Mitsy

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I bought an FZ6 S2 Fazer for my first bike - 18 months and a bit over 5000 miles later and I still love it. Soft enough to practice on if you keep it below 6000 rpm, interestingly quick between 6000 and 9000 and a complete head case from 9000 all the way round to 14,000 rpm.

I commute and pleasure ride on mine. MPG is good - she gives me around 55 mpg average. The first back tyre disappeared in 3800 miles, which was disappointing - I have fitted a dual compound one as a replacement, which is doing much better. The front is still going strong with probably another 2000 miles left in it.

It’s really comfy, easy to ride and has forgiven me one or two real numpty moments and it makes me smile like every time I get on it. Overall, I’d buy another.

Yeah i must admit the fazer is growing on me. I really like the look from the rear but can't make my mind up between the faired or naked front!!!

Are they mechanically reliable?

What sort of problems do people have with 'em?

You're braver then me. I wouldn't be comfortable getting a brand new bike as my first bike! I spilled my bike and scratched it up and was sad to mess up the paint on my 1995. I can't imagine how bad I'd have felt about messing up the paint on a brand spanking new bike!

My bike's a Virago 535. I can't imagine that I'll ever out grow it, but a lot of folks disagree with me on that statement.