xs650se '79 how much should I pay?? HELP HELP

wook
This post is 5510 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Got the chance of a '79 xs650se, been stood for a few years. Battery knackered, lovely motor, a bit tarnished. How much should I pay? It's been resprayed, fairly original apart from that. Big spoke, mag wheels. Seat ripped. Could anyone advise me? Wook

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Got the chance of a '79 xs650se, been stood for a few years. Battery knackered, lovely motor, a bit tarnished. How much should I pay? It's been resprayed, fairly original apart from that. Big spoke, mag wheels. Seat ripped. Could anyone advise me? Wook

Does the motor turn over ? if not you could be in for some big expense which will refelct in its price.

Is the bike the black one with the tubular steel grab rail & steel side panels or does it have plastic side panels & a chunky alloy grab rail ?

If it is the modal with the steel bits it could be worth more than the other modal as it was only around for 6 ~ 8 months before it was replaced with the plastic/alloy modal.

I had one new in 1979 and managed close to 90k on it before I swaped it for a slightly bigger bike (XS850) big mistake should have kept the 650, in that time I put 2 cam chains in, lots of starter clutches, a few sets of genny brushes and that was about it ...

It's value is up to you but I guess as a non runner (and without seeing it) I would guess £100 ~ £200 but its up to you

Regards Jim

Does the motor turn over ? if not you could be in for some big expense which will refelct in its price.

Is the bike the black one with the tubular steel grab rail & steel side panels or does it have plastic side panels & a chunky alloy grab rail ?

If it is the modal with the steel bits it could be worth more than the other modal as it was only around for 6 ~ 8 months before it was replaced with the plastic/alloy modal.

I had one new in 1979 and managed close to 90k on it before I swaped it for a slightly bigger bike (XS850) big mistake should have kept the 650, in that time I put 2 cam chains in, lots of starter clutches, a few sets of genny brushes and that was about it ...

It's value is up to you but I guess as a non runner (and without seeing it) I would guess £100 ~ £200 but its up to you

Regards Jim

Hi, Motor is good, sounds lovely. yes steel tubular grabrail and steel side panels. What do you reckon? Wook

As it's going concern perhaps you could up the ante a bit from the £200 I first mentioned it will depend on how much resto work is needed ( I have just done an FS1 cost to buy £140, restoration cost is sat at about £500 and I still have not finished) without seeing it, it is difficult to value £400 maybe in order ...

The modal you are looking at is an XS650S and not SE and from memory the modal code is 3L1. As this modal is more rare than the SE version you may find a fully restored one is worth a bit of money have a look at this one on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/YAMAHA-XS650se_W0QQi...A1%7C240%3A1318.

£870 at the moment and not in original colours

Regards Jim

As it's going concern perhaps you could up the ante a bit from the £200 I first mentioned it will depend on how much resto work is needed ( I have just done an FS1 cost to buy £140, restoration cost is sat at about £500 and I still have not finished) without seeing it, it is difficult to value £400 maybe in order ...

The modal you are looking at is an XS650S and not SE and from memory the modal code is 3L1. As this modal is more rare than the SE version you may find a fully restored one is worth a bit of money have a look at this one on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/YAMAHA-XS650se_W0QQi...A1%7C240%3A1318.

Regards Jim

Good spotting. Exactly what is the difference between S and SE?

Good spotting. Exactly what is the difference between S and SE?

Ok the 79 S was much closer to the XS650 as it had the metal side panels, hinge up seat, slightly different carbs. Cosmetic changes to the clocks (different warning lights) the S modal was finished in black (with a light gold metal flake) had special on the side panals with a tacky US flag underneath) the SE was finished in a maroon colour and had US custom on the side panels. I always felt that the S was a slightly better bike but the SE sold in much bigger numbers than the S but only had a short production life.

Regards Jim

Regards Jim

Hello,

The model code for the XS650 Special is 4E4 and the model code 3L1 is actually for the XS650SE

Regards Michelle

Hello,

The model code for the XS650 Special is 4E4 and the model code 3L1 is actually for the XS650SE

Regards Michelle

Hi Michelle,

I cannot find a ref on the net to a 4E4 Xs650S or SE the code I found where 3L1,4G7,5E6 but if you have a better reference could you send a link to it ... Just checked the copy of the V5 doc for my XS650S (I've copied every single bike I've owned and that shows a 3L1 number

Regards Jim

Hi Michelle,

I cannot find a ref on the net to a 4E4 Xs650S or SE the code I found where 3L1,4G7,5E6 but if you have a better reference could you send a link to it ... Just checked the copy of the V5 doc for my XS650S (I've copied every single bike I've owned and that shows a 3L1 number

Regards Jim

Jim,

My references are the factory supplied books that I received from Yamaha when I was a Yamaha Agent.

I have looked at the list of manuals and parts list catalogues and believe that XS650SE has several prefix codes they are: 2M0 / 2M1 / 4G7 / 3L1 / 467 / 5E6 (depending on year and country)

The XS650 is: 1V2 / 1E1 / 1H1 / 1U3 / 3T4 / 39G

The XS650E is: 2F0 / 2G6

The XS650 Special is: 4E4

Regards Michelle

Jim,

My references are the factory supplied books that I received from Yamaha when I was a Yamaha Agent.

I have looked at the list of manuals and parts list catalogues and believe that XS650SE has several prefix codes they are: 2M0 / 2M1 / 4G7 / 3L1 / 467 / 5E6 (depending on year and country)

The XS650 is: 1V2 / 1E1 / 1H1 / 1U3 / 3T4 / 39G

The XS650E is: 2F0 / 2G6

The XS650 Special is: 4E4

Regards Michelle

Hi Michelle,

I also worked for a Yamaha agent, in the UK, thro the 70's & 80's so I am only clued up on UK spec bikes,

putting a global slant on it I did the following research :-

Model Year(s) Code

XS 650 78-81 1U3

XS 650 A 74 447

XS 650 B 75 ?

XS 650 C 76 584

XS 650 D 77 1U3

XS 650 E 78 2F0

XS 650 E 78 2G6

XS 650 F 79 ?

XS 650 F 79 ?

XS 650 H

XS 650 SE 79-81 3L1,4G7,5E6

XS 650 SF 79 ?

XS 650 SG 80 3U6

XS 650 SG 79 3W6

XS 650 SH 81 5A9

XS 650 SPEC

XS 650 TX 72 ?

XS 650 Xs1 69 256

XS 650 XS1

XS 650 XS1F 69-70 ?

XS 650 XS2 72 306

XS 650? 341

from this reference the SE is shown as 3L1, 4G7 & 5E6, In the UK the 1979 model's parts book ( the last year of books as 1980 saw the introduction of fiche) was coloured blue (blue for four stroke , yellow for 2 stroke, road and some other colours for 2 stroke off road (orange or red seems to ring a bell) and green or olive for the V series bikes, and was marked XS650S. If you worked at a Yamaha Dealer in that time frame 76~89 perhaps we met at the loads of seminars that Mitsui ran at the time, with my position in the dealership I had to do service,parts & sales seminars, and perhaps we could reminisce about the staff at Mitsui !

Regards Jim

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online