Front Brakes

sturdeebiker
This post is 5502 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

As a new biker I have little DIY experience but am keen to learn. I do all the pre-ride checks and visuals but dont know much else.

Am getting the bike out more after less riding in winter. It has developed an intermittent squeeking from the front brake, sometimes even more of a scrunch. I took it to the local dealer who said the brakes are fine, and cleaned the disk for me, then rode it up and down the road. Said it was fine. Bike was serviced a week later and was told again brake fine but the it's back again after two weeks and feels like its constantly rubbing on the disk now. The bike is only just over a year old and done less than 4k miles. Disk is nice and smooth.

I ignorantly think I probably dont need to take the brake apart as the pads visibly still have plenty of life in them but don't know what to do about the noise. Can I clean them somehow without taking apart and if so what with?

I have tried riding it and braking hard to see if it releases any grit or anything (suggested by the technician who also said not to worry about continuous contact of pad to disk as that's normal - is this true?). This braking hard seems a short-term fix sometimes, but returns again.

Any suggestions please? :(:(

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

As a new biker I have little DIY experience but am keen to learn. I do all the pre-ride checks and visuals but dont know much else.

Am getting the bike out more after less riding in winter. It has developed an intermittent squeeking from the front brake, sometimes even more of a scrunch. I took it to the local dealer who said the brakes are fine, and cleaned the disk for me, then rode it up and down the road. Said it was fine. Bike was serviced a week later and was told again brake fine but the it's back again after two weeks and feels like its constantly rubbing on the disk now. The bike is only just over a year old and done less than 4k miles. Disk is nice and smooth.

I ignorantly think I probably dont need to take the brake apart as the pads visibly still have plenty of life in them but don't know what to do about the noise. Can I clean them somehow without taking apart and if so what with?

I have tried riding it and braking hard to see if it releases any grit or anything (suggested by the technician who also said not to worry about continuous contact of pad to disk as that's normal - is this true?). This braking hard seems a short-term fix sometimes, but returns again.

Any suggestions please? :(:(

Hey man,

I had this problem myself, check that there is not bits of grit/salt/dirt between the pads and the disc, this can result in a noise like the ones u described, also check the threads on ur screws round the caliper incase something is loose. the continous contact with pads to disc sounds familiar, just make sure there is no friction/tension when freewheeling or ur pads are too close...

P.S im no expert!!! just suggestions...........also check brake fluid is topped up

A little copper grease/anti-seize on the back of the pad (the metal bit that touches the piston) should stop that noise - be very careful not to get any on the pad itself or the disc!

There is always a little bit of warping of a break disc, this is how the pads return after breaking.

So essentially the pads will always touch the high spot...