xs400rj flasher relay location and access

olivers
This post is 5499 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

I changed my flasher lights recently and flashers wont blink anymore.

Most likely due to lower resistance of the new bulbs.

I picked up a new relay that fixes this prob.

from the sound of my current relay.. id say its under the gas tank and under the metal frame that holds the fork.

any ideas how to get there ?

I removed the tank already.

Do I really need to remove the top motor mounts to get there.. seems like a ridiculous place to put a relay!

any thoughts or help.. let me know

Cheers,

Oliver

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi,

from the sound of my current relay.. id say its under the gas tank and under the metal frame that holds the fork.

Do I really need to remove the top motor mounts to get there.. seems like a ridiculous place to put a relay!

Cheers,

Oliver

NM.. ya.. it was where I thought it would be.

NM.. ya.. it was where I thought it would be.

more fun, the new relay wont trip. it was made for led lights.

I've tried the proper wires in right place.. I hear it click but lights wont come on.

my bulbs are not led's just regular bulbs that are smaller in size.

I went from bulbs that took 27w each to bulbs that take 8w each.

so thats 54w per channel to now 16w per channel.

i'm thinking of adding some resistance either to each bulbs or in between both.

What you guys think ?

Hi,

Cheers,

Oliver

Reply is: had exactly the same on an XJ750 Seca, and discovered that it's the pinouts on the original relay being different to the universal type: our Yamaha relay had a three pin connector but with only two terminals connected: the middle one and only one at the side pins. If your replacement relay is the same as our was, when you look at the back of your relay you will notice that the one that isn't connected is the 'X' terminal: this in the power feed, and pretty important.

So, split the plug - it is designed to be openable - and removed the connectors inside. Attach on to each side connector, ignoiring the top one completely, and it wil work with the wires one way round - i think the polarity is important. Having tested it and found it working, refit the connectors into the plug (remembering left and right are transposed when looking at it face-on), and test it before closing the plug up, and slot the new relay into its new home.

Have fun

My new 12v 23watt indicators now flash on and off quite happily.

Hope this helps.

more fun, the new relay wont trip. it was made for led lights.

I've tried the proper wires in right place.. I hear it click but lights wont come on.

my bulbs are not led's just regular bulbs that are smaller in size.

I went from bulbs that took 27w each to bulbs that take 8w each.

so thats 54w per channel to now 16w per channel.

i'm thinking of adding some resistance either to each bulbs or in between both.

What you guys think ?

ok, then the relay you need is one that is not for led's but for normal indicators. we got ours from bike-bits-n-bobs on ebay ... who provides a genuine service. it does state on the information that the relay unit is for either led's (which is a much lower wattage and will not work) or for normal indicators ... and so you should ensure you got the one that is designed specifically for normal indicators and not leds

• 3 weeks later...

ok, then the relay you need is one that is not for led's but for normal indicators. we got ours from bike-bits-n-bobs on ebay ... who provides a genuine service. it does state on the information that the relay unit is for either led's (which is a much lower wattage and will not work) or for normal indicators ... and so you should ensure you got the one that is designed specifically for normal indicators and not leds

Nice ! thanks for the posts !

I will definitely give that a try at some point.

for the time being, I picked up regular lights and the relays are tripping fine now.

thanks again,

Oliver