XS400RJ SECA Clutch engagement problems

nedj10
This post is 5539 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello everyone I just got a XS400 Seca for my first bike.

I have been wrenching on the bike under the guidance of the Haynes manual and the original Yamaha Shop Manual. But I have run into a problem with clutch I cannot solve. It seems no matter how tight I adjust the clutch cable the Clutch does not seem to be disengaging from the drive train. I tried setting the slack to the prescribed 2 to 5 mm will little to no effect. I have also tried setting to the as tight as I could twist the screw/locknut combination but each time I squeeze the clutch lever and try to shift down to first the bike stalls. Excactly the way it would if I had not even touched the clutch lever.

SO my question is this the sounds of bike needing a new clutch basket? New clutch springs? I have seen a bazillion clutch baskets on ebay but they are all used, I assume due to lack of new parts. Do you normally buy the basket as a complete assembly? Can you buy the individual components of the clutch assembly as needed?

thanks in advance

Ned

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

pull the sidecover on the motor and see if the pushrod actuator behind the clutch mechanism is there. They are prone to snapping.

Ok I pulled the crank case cover on the clutch side, and find myself looking at the clutch assembly. Do you mean the push rod that engages the with the clutch cable assembly(the splined rod that seat into the spring loaded mechanism extended by pulling on the clutch cable?) or do I need to pull the clutch basket to inspect the side of the splined push rod form that side.

thanks

Ned Williams

How long has the bike been stood with out use ?? could be the clutch plates are gummed up and stuck together ??

I pulled the clutch plates last night they came aparrt wihtout too much issue, but they looked to be in pretty good shape only one of the metel discs the third one from the basket base was a little blued. I am wondering if the pushrod or the ball bearing behind it is damaged. the push rob travels freely in and out of the housing about 2 mm's that to say it does not come out and free it just moves in and hour without resistance 2mm.

At the moment I am trying to figure out how to remove the outer clutch basket piece. I considered using an Impact wrench to spin it off, but not sure what damage that would do to the transmission.

any advise is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Ned Williams

I am wondering if the pushrod or the ball bearing behind it is damaged. the push rob travels freely in and out of the housing about 2 mm's that to say it does not come out and free it just moves in and hour without resistance 2mm.

Ned Williams

The push rod should pull out without any problem after you have removed the cover on the left hand side of the bike,(the one behind the gear lever) if it don`t, then you could have a bent pushrod.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online