xj600 takes ages to start

EPP
This post is 5357 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Give the Redex a go. I bought my abused 1990 XJ600 in 2006 with 28,000 on the clock and used redex occasionally. Last year (48,000 miles) I stripped the carbs with an older and wiser friend and they were very clean (except where they were completely blocked so nothing got through), there was a lot of crud in the bowls, but that cleaned easily. Some previous user/abuser had adjusted the screws on the pilots, so we counted the turns on each, checked with Mr Haynes and set them all the same as the manual said. Visually checked the opening though the valves and cleaned the crud that prevented them all closing at the same time.

Later borrowed a set of vacuum gauges and balanced the carbs.

With my XJ, use every day except in snow, it starts with full choke, starts to complain idling after 3 minutes, if have to blip the throttle waiting at lights for the next 5 minutes, then I turn it off.

Like someone else said, don't keep the starter on for long, it will also overheat your battery.

xj600s backfiring once on start, what causes might this be ?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I'll have a go with the redex - can't do any harm...

Matty, I think my engine needs a similar amount of attention to yours on startup. Have taken it for a ride and checked the plugs - no fouling, so looks like the engine is breathing properly now as well. However, have now identified a rattling noise from the engine that I'm not happy with (see my other post).

One day, I'm going to find out if I actually enjoy riding a motorcycle rather than just taking them apart :)

• 6 months later...

Hi, I just picked up a really nice 1984 FJ600 with the same symptoms you are describing. It was sold to me claiming the battery needed to be replaced as it wasn't strong enough to start the bike. It could be jump started froma car battery.

My bike had the carbs cleaned prior to being sold to me, and when the bike finally started there was a squeaking noice coming from the area of carb #4. The guy said the boot was a bit loose, causing the squeaking sound.

I did some checking and found the manifold gasket between the carb and the head was not giving a good enough seal, presumably it was reused when the carbs were cleaned and replaced. I replaced that gasket and that noise vanished. I could detect a faint similar noise from carb #1, so I replaced that gasket too.

The best part from this whole operation is that now my bike will start with the same battery, without being boosted!! My advice is to check all hoses and seals, both on the airbox side and the head side.

I'm making progress with my XJ600. Brakes and exhaust are done, and I'm ready to get back on the road... but it was never going to be that easy was it?

The engine just turns over until the battery dies, doesn't seem to catch at all. However, if I jump it from a car battery (i know some people would advise against this) the engine will turn over repeatedly until it just begins to catch, and eventually it will splutter into life.

Once going, it warms up fine and seems to run well, then restarts immediately from the bike battery after being shut off.

So, I'm wondering what this might be all about. Could it be that fuel is taking ages to get the engine? Could the carbs have got gummed up while the bike has been laid up (but presumably this would mean it wouldn't start at all)? Could it be something electrical?

The thing I find strange is that it will finally get going and run well after that.

Any suggestions?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online