how fast is fast?

troyboy
This post is 5512 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

just a quick question! on a normal sunday ride out how fast does the average bloke or lady ride before they say thats fast enough and they back off the throttle and say THIS IS STUPID!.

Bearing in mind its a nice national speed limit road they know and the weathers perfect an all that stuff.

I know people are going 2 say, depends on the bike and the experience of the rider, but everybody has a limit don't they? is it just nudge the 60mph limit or abliterate it!!!!!!!!!. thanks. :blink:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wring its neck until you see god then brake

life begins at 40 they but it only gets interesting after 120 mph

personally everyone to their own, keeping below the ton will help preserve your licence

sticking to the speed limit is safest, i only keep bikes that are ancient so do not want to wring their necks too much

and to be honest the thumpers (650 single H****AS) do not feel particularly stable or safe at over 80 mph

Merv

Had my GS 500e up to 110 last summer, then started to lose my helmet, (open face),

So i thought, WELL you can`t see now so slow down, That`s why although i love my YAMMIES,

I`ll always keep the GS, We can all do with a little terror in are lives,

But it`s each to there own really, I don`t know what i was thinking that day, I prefer to cruise,

Must be an age thing, O G Will know. LOL. But we all like to know what are bikes can do don`t we.

Think i`ll E-mail age concern now, Thinking back to that day i`m becoming quite concerned.

140mph or abit more, this would obviously be on closed private roads :rolleyes:

140mph or abit more, this would obviously be on closed private roads :rolleyes:

plenty of those in scotland, i think one called the A9 i remember, blokes in orange and white cars handing out the tickets to pay for using them at that speed, 68 mph in an artic £150 and 3 points was my charge how much to use it at 140 mph then

merv

I prefer the twisties and seeing how fast I can get round. can't always go above 60 especially on cheshire B roads!!

I prefer the twisties and seeing how fast I can get round. can't always go above 60 especially on cheshire B roads!!
Yeah i agree, 170 mph in a straight line really can be quite tedious, however 60-70 mph up and down a nice mountain run is always exhilerating. As far as giving bike riders a bad name, i tend to disagree. Anybody who buys an R1,R6,GSXR and the like and never exceeds the limits has wasted their money! HAVE A BLAST!

Yeah i agree, 170 mph in a straight line really can be quite tedious, however 60-70 mph up and down a nice mountain run is always exhilerating. As far as giving bike riders a bad name, i tend to disagree. Anybody who buys an R1,R6,GSXR and the like and never exceeds the limits has wasted their money! HAVE A BLAST!

yup thats why i have 2 big singles and 2 screaming strokers to plod around lanes on

merv

When i had my CBR i used to throttle it everywhere. I went from Manchester to Stockon on tees in just under an hour on a wednesday morning - a journey that normally takes roughly an hour and 40 ish :blink:

I made some silly mistakes at times too. Im a good rider, least i think i am, but then dont we all........

I realised one day (after a stupid off that was entirely my fault) that - even though i LOVE the adrenalin rush and the thrill i got from riding like a twat, i had 3 kids at home who needed me more than the funeral parlour did, so i traded in my CBR and bought myself an XVS - i havent looked back since. I began to realise that biking wasnt just about how fast you could go, and i began to enjoy it even more than i ever did, and i still am.

I miss the CBR and the fun it gave me, hence why i bought the Bandit, which gave me a little taster of what i missed (which i only sold cos i wanted a new sofa lol) - i will buy another one soon, but it wont be anything over a 400 - I seem to have this problem wih my wrist that i cant control, and that could be the death of me.

Any fool can go as quick as the bike will take them in a straight line, but is that really going fast??? :blink: I much prefer getting up and seeing what the bike or for that matter me can do round the bends! :D Dont get me wrong, ive done my fair share of 150+ mph (on closed roads) ;) But after a few miles and you get bored of your helmet trying to pull your head off, you realise that the twisties are more fun and slow down :( Im lucky enough to live just outside breacon and the better riders arent the ones who are hammering the straights and knocking it down into 2nd and crawling round the corners, there the guys who are taking the right line and tipping it in and exiting quick. I love it when a gang is stood round the burger van telling war stories, i just look at the knee sliders and check the back tire for sissy lines, usually the lines are an inch wide and the sliders you could auction on ebay as 'brand new'

Id say go as quick as you feel comfortable and dont get over confident! What ever you do find your own lines and not your quick mates! :D

HI PEEPS i thought this subject might spark some interest but to be honeset i was expecting to be told speeding is silly and i might hert myself! (like my wife tells me).

I asked a chap at work how fast is fast and he said to me he would do 80-90 which i agreed with as i would do that myself on private roads (of course).

Speeding is like a drug and once you get the bug thats it, you have to keep going onto bigger and bigger bikes to hit the spot or you have to step back and slow down and think of others like somone said.

im new to motorcycling and have had my license for little over 2 years and i know i dont have the years of expeience some of you guys have but i still go out there and ride like a absolute t**t. ive had a few close scrapes but fight on to live another day and hopfully learn by my mistakes.

THE only downside is ive reached the limits of my 750 sp in a straight line.( on private roads) and in a way im looking for the next rush, but as somome said anyone can go fast in a staight line but its the corners that are harder to master!

so i say lets get me knee down a few more times and ride the corners faster before i get a bigger bike. everyone nos somone whos been hert on killed on a bike right? thanks for the responses and stay safe and illegal!!!!! ;)

As far as giving bike riders a bad name, i tend to disagree. Anybody who buys an R1,R6,GSXR and the like and never exceeds the limits has wasted their money! HAVE A BLAST!

;)

Lets face it - who has never broen the speed limit on gtheir bike either intentionally or not?

No i thought not

Show me a biker who hasn't gone over the speed limit and got a rush from it and ill show my arse in Primark window.......

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online