XS650 ignition coil

slash
This post is 5623 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'm having a problem with the coil on my 650. It has a Lucas rita ignition box, single magnetic

pickup and a single dual fire coil. The coil i originally chose is one off a VF1000r, dual fire with replaceable

leads but the main reason was the plug leads exited on the side of the coil not bottom.

The coils ain't lasting plus their getting harder to find, so i used an automotive coil from a V6 buick.

It uses 3 coils all dual fire plus their a dime a dozen. The coil lasted about 10 minutes before packing

it in. I assume the new coil is a low ohm and the lucas system, being old tec is high ohm.

My question is can i resistor or something the coil outputs on the lucas system to get it

to work with the low ohm coils? :rolleyes:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I'm having a problem with the coil on my 650. It has a Lucas rita ignition box, single magnetic

pickup and a single dual fire coil. The coil i originally chose is one off a VF1000r, dual fire with replaceable

leads but the main reason was the plug leads exited on the side of the coil not bottom.

The coils ain't lasting plus their getting harder to find, so i used an automotive coil from a V6 buick.

It uses 3 coils all dual fire plus their a dime a dozen. The coil lasted about 10 minutes before packing

it in. I assume the new coil is a low ohm and the lucas system, being old tec is high ohm.

My question is can i resistor or something the coil outputs on the lucas system to get it

to work with the low ohm coils? :rolleyes:

mikesxs do coils that should be right for you bike

http://mikesxs.com/

merv