1991 FZR600

Mark J
This post is 5627 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello everyone.

I'm newish to motorbikes, spent the last 8 months riding a Honda CG125 while I plucked up the courage to take my test, now I've passed I have an FZR600, problem being I'm having starting issues with the bike.

I apologise if this confuses anyone, I'm not the best at explaining things.

(FIL is a mechanic but not really had chance to look fully, just fixed from what I'd told so far)

I got the bike last Saturday from my father-in-law (FIL), got it back to mine and left it until Monday morning when it was time for work. Tried to start the bike and it wouldn't fire up and started clicking. I have a charger so hooked it up and left it for 30 minutes, came back and it started. Off I went to work with my new bike with no problems. It got to lunch time and I was showing a friend, tried to start the bike and it didn't want to know. FIL came over changed the battery for a brand new one and it fired up without any issues. The bike had no issues when going home.

TUESDAY

Left the bike over night, came to it in the morning only to have the same issue as the day before. Charged it for about 5 minutes before it said the battery was full, tried to start the bike and it was fine. Went to work again and as a precaution thought I'd check it at lunch, again same issues as the day before. FIL came over to work jump started the bike and took it to the garage to look at. Couldn't find much wrong with it, the bike would start with no issues so he made sure the battery was fully charged. I picked it up in the evening and took it back home.

WEDNESDAY

Again same issue in the morning with the bike not starting. Charged it until the battery was full tried to start the bike but got nothing out of it apart from the battery sounding as though it was dying and some clicking. Spoke to FIL who suggested (as he couldn't pick up the bike and I couldn't start it to get to him) that I charge it for an hour and try to start it, this worked, he then said to leave it for an hour and then try again, this time it wouldn't start - ok looks as though something driaining the battery, charged again for an hour went back but this time it wouldn't start.

I may have only been on the new bike a few times but I'm lost without it. I have read a few posts on other sites and have tried starting it with the kick stand up - some posts mentioned that this may be tripping it out. Was also told by a friend at work and an avid Yamaha fan that it may be the cold/damp getting into the battery.

Any ideas??

Thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hello everyone.

I'm newish to motorbikes, spent the last 8 months riding a Honda CG125 while I plucked up the courage to take my test, now I've passed I have an FZR600, problem being I'm having starting issues with the bike.

I apologise if this confuses anyone, I'm not the best at explaining things.

(FIL is a mechanic but not really had chance to look fully, just fixed from what I'd told so far)

I got the bike last Saturday from my father-in-law (FIL), got it back to mine and left it until Monday morning when it was time for work. Tried to start the bike and it wouldn't fire up and started clicking. I have a charger so hooked it up and left it for 30 minutes, came back and it started. Off I went to work with my new bike with no problems. It got to lunch time and I was showing a friend, tried to start the bike and it didn't want to know. FIL came over changed the battery for a brand new one and it fired up without any issues. The bike had no issues when going home.

TUESDAY

Left the bike over night, came to it in the morning only to have the same issue as the day before. Charged it for about 5 minutes before it said the battery was full, tried to start the bike and it was fine. Went to work again and as a precaution thought I'd check it at lunch, again same issues as the day before. FIL came over to work jump started the bike and took it to the garage to look at. Couldn't find much wrong with it, the bike would start with no issues so he made sure the battery was fully charged. I picked it up in the evening and took it back home.

WEDNESDAY

Again same issue in the morning with the bike not starting. Charged it until the battery was full tried to start the bike but got nothing out of it apart from the battery sounding as though it was dying and some clicking. Spoke to FIL who suggested (as he couldn't pick up the bike and I couldn't start it to get to him) that I charge it for an hour and try to start it, this worked, he then said to leave it for an hour and then try again, this time it wouldn't start - ok looks as though something driaining the battery, charged again for an hour went back but this time it wouldn't start.

I may have only been on the new bike a few times but I'm lost without it. I have read a few posts on other sites and have tried starting it with the kick stand up - some posts mentioned that this may be tripping it out. Was also told by a friend at work and an avid Yamaha fan that it may be the cold/damp getting into the battery.

Any ideas??

Thanks.

First off check the charge rate with a volt meter 14.5 ~ 14.8 @ 4k with the lights on or off.

is this FZR an aircooled bike or Watercooled this will help so I can look at the right specs for the charging system on the bike

Regards Jim

Definately sounds like something is draining the bat. Have you any add ons to it, alarm, etc? This could be the problem.

Jim

I don't think its water cooled.

Its a 91 Genesis, has no mods, alarms etc.

OK its water cooled I guess unless its a 89/90 that was registered in 91, Genesis was the water cooled motor FZR600 (without Genesis) was air cooled. Water cooled has a temp guage to the right of the rev counter.

Charge the battery, start the bike up and connect the volt meter to the battery, you will need to remove both front & rear saddles to gain access to the battery, start the bike & rev the motor to 4k and see if 14.5 ~ 14.8 volts is obtained. If do not you have a charging problem, if you do get that voltage you have a battery discharge problem, if so do the following :-

Check the battery voltage with the bike turned off this should read 12v ~ 14v Dependant on the sate of charge of the battery, if the voltage drops after half hour of monitoring it, remove the battery leads and do the same with the battery out of circuit. If the voltage drops across the battery at this point suspect the battery. If it does not you stand a chance of a short circuit/bad earth.

If you dont get 14.5v + when the bike is running @ 4k you have a charging problem ! without knowing which bike you have it would be difficult to advise where to go next we need to know which bike you have to go further !

Regards Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Problem sorted... Something so simple too (as always).

Bike had original battery in but it'd been sitting for months, just seem to give up, changed it for a brand new battery, this turned out to be from a bad batch.

Father-in-law changed it for another new battery from a different supplier and its been fine ever since.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online