6v to 12v step-up transformer?

wild foamy
This post is 5633 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi there all.

im looking to build a simple 6VDC to 12VDC step-up transformer for using things like phone chargers and camera chargers from the 6v supply on my bike.

i know i wont get high outputs but i am looking to get something like 400mah out of it.

i have basic knowledge in electrical engineering but i need a bit of help drawing up a schematic diagram.

anyone have any ideas?

regards

Steve

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hi there all.

im looking to build a simple 6VDC to 12VDC step-up transformer for using things like phone chargers and camera chargers from the 6v supply on my bike.

i know i wont get high outputs but i am looking to get something like 400mah out of it.

i have basic knowledge in electrical engineering but i need a bit of help drawing up a schematic diagram.

anyone have any ideas?

regards

Steve

You cant do it with a transformer as such, what you will have to do is use another rectifier diode and a 12v regulator connected in parallel to your existing 6v units

okay, any idea how that would look as a schematic?.

would the 12v regulator work if the input voltage was less than its output?

not sure where the rectifier would come in though, was planning to wire it straight onto the battery (which although is not very big, is constantly being fed by the mag) then using an isolator switch to cut the 12v feed when the engine is static. so wouldnt the battery be providing a DC voltage?

Sounds like disposable batteries for the camera and payphones are going to be the way to go.

oh, so it can't be done? :(

this is all in prep for my ireland tour, i want it to get everything sorted now so that i know it works and i can test it out before i go... and tbh i dont want to have to keep changing batteries all the time, especially if its something like a video camera.

okay, any idea how that would look as a schematic?.

would the 12v regulator work if the input voltage was less than its output?

not sure where the rectifier would come in though, was planning to wire it straight onto the battery (which although is not very big, is constantly being fed by the mag) then using an isolator switch to cut the 12v feed when the engine is static. so wouldnt the battery be providing a DC voltage?

You need a seperate circuit as your battery is held at 6V, I dont know if this could be done and the drawing has turned out crap, but if you have an understanding of electrical engineering, my thoughts are this, obviously it will only work when the output from the magneto is above 12v

6vto12v.jpg

but thats the thing, the mag is 6v and so is the battery, but would it be possible to step it up to 2v at the expense of reducing the amperage output?

alternatively i could carry a small 12v Lead-acid type battery (7ah or around that) and run everything off that, just a matter of keeping it charged without getting into expensive solar panels and the like

but thats the thing, the mag is 6v and so is the battery, but would it be possible to step it up to 2v at the expense of reducing the amperage output?

The mag will give out more than 6v as the revs increase, for example the mag on a 12v bike will give 50v at high revs...its the regulator that holds these voltages down, i dont know what the mag on the 6v bike will give, neither do i know of anyone doing this, or indeed if it would work, but that'd be the way i would try.

Forgive me if i am wrong but are not most things like cameras phones etc 6v anyhow ??

merv

Worth checking Merv, ive been looking at my idea and its not good, I think the foamy one is looking to use a cigarette lighter socket adapter for his gadgets though. If you are right it would be easier to chop the 12v units and wire up to new socket via a fuse to bike battery.

yeh i was planning to use a 12v cigarette lighter type charger for charging my camera and phone e.t.c

my phone is 3.7v and my video camera is 7.2v, both are Li-Ion batteries so im not sure i would be confident DIY'ing chargers

Maybe worth a look around VW beetle websites as the early beetels were 6V

Merv

This is my latest offering, it uses the negative half cycles from the magneto, i dont think the first attempt would work, with this one you wouvd connect the positive centre pin to bike chassis and the socket outer to -12v fuse, i am not an electronics expert so any comments will be welcome

12Vsupplyon6Vmotorcycle.jpg

Honestly i think this is a bad move, i dont know if you have a lighting /charging coil or separates but they will have very little to spare and electrical loads will rob you of the HP you have got from your sports bits and bobs. Do you really want to blow out your stator coils somewhere in nowhere.

If you are going on a tour surely reliability is the most important factor then weight with space a close third, my mobile will do all week without charging and does video and pics, its charged in an hour or so, one or two stops where you have access to plug it in would be it, that would leave your bikes electrics to do only what it has to.

Honestly i think this is a bad move, i dont know if you have a lighting /charging coil or separates but they will have very little to spare and electrical loads will rob you of the HP you have got from your sports bits and bobs. Do you really want to blow out your stator coils somewhere in nowhere.

If you are going on a tour surely reliability is the most important factor then weight with space a close third, my mobile will do all week without charging and does video and pics, its charged in an hour or so, one or two stops where you have access to plug it in would be it, that would leave your bikes electrics to do only what it has to.

Aaah, the voice of wisdom!

Spoil sport :D

Anyway Steve....About that tubo charger