Watchdog - Report on Direct Bikes

Gas up - Let's Go!
This post is 5648 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Last night (Monday 17th November 2008) the BBC Watchdog program run a report on Direct Bikes, and the scooters they sell, you can read about it here :

One part of the report mentions speedo's and one guy had been told by Mr plod that speedos showing only km/h is illegal. Has anyone any knowledge about this, is it true? What about bikers from the continent coming into this country, how will it effect them ?

I'm a little curious, as my TTR has km/h and no mph - but I didn't think it was actually a requirement to have a speedo (abide by the speed limits yes), and when I've comapired every speedo I've had with either GPS or RoadBook the speedo's are between 7 and 10 % over the actual speed, clearly GPS takes a linear approach to speed, but compared to a roadbook the two are pretty acurate.

??

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

MOTORCYCLE SPEEDO

Does my motorcycle require a speedometer for an MOT? If not what milage would the Tester put down on the VT20 or VT12? Phil

You will be pleased to hear that the speedometer is not checked in the MOT. The Tester would simply note that the motorcycle has no speedometer. - MOTT

but it think it is a legal requirement to have one fitted to a bike over 49 cc though

merv

i stand corrected this is from a DFt guide

3.6. Speedometers

Every motorcycle first used on or after 1 April 1984 and capable of more than 25 mph must have a

speedometer which reads in both miles per hour and kilometres per hour either simultaneously or

separately by the use of a switch. A speedometer which is approved to Community Directives 75/443/EEC

as amended by 97/39/EC, 2000/7/EC or to UNECE Regulation No.39 is acceptable.

looks as though they maybe right but all it need is an overlay sticker i reckon

Merv

anyhow C&U regs for bikes here

motorcyle C&U regs

i stand corrected this is from a DFt guide

3.6. Speedometers

Every motorcycle first used on or after 1 April 1984 and capable of more than 25 mph must have a

speedometer which reads in both miles per hour and kilometres per hour either simultaneously or

separately by the use of a switch.

That's a bit of a bugger - I need to replace the speedo on my Radian after a minor tumble. It's a US bike (I'm in the UK), and both an original and all the aftermarket ones I've seen are MPH only.

I would stick the speedo on and not worry unless someone says something, i did my test on a bike with only KPH on the dial and stragically placed little numbers for the mph at 30.60.and 70 mph stuck to the glass

Merv

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online