YZ250, Which Year??

Cormac
This post is 5569 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi

Im needing some help guys, Ive had a yz250 for years, used it for the first few then(when i was younger any silly) took the carb apart and couldnt get it back together again.. :angry: the bike has lay in the garage for at least 7 years now, well ive decided to get it fixed up and sorted over the winter, it needs a fair bit doing but first off im unsure of its year.. I cant seem to find a plate on the frame with any numbers on, I have however found a few numbers stamped on the engine..

56A

246cm3

y-1

Anyone got any idea which year this could be from?

Im needing to get some new plastics and the carb sorted so really need to know the year...

Thanks in advance ;)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi

Im needing some help guys, Ive had a yz250 for years, used it for the first few then(when i was younger any silly) took the carb apart and couldnt get it back together again.. :angry: the bike has lay in the garage for at least 7 years now, well ive decided to get it fixed up and sorted over the winter, it needs a fair bit doing but first off im unsure of its year.. I cant seem to find a plate on the frame with any numbers on, I have however found a few numbers stamped on the engine..

56A

246cm3

y-1

Im needing to get some new plastics and the carb sorted so really need to know the year...

Thanks in advance ;)

There should be an ID plate on the neck of the frame or some numbers stamped there. May have been painted over so look closely

There should be an ID plate on the neck of the frame or some numbers stamped there. May have been painted over so look closely

I checked the top of the frame but theres no plate, the frame has been painted so ill rub it down 2morro and see if anything shows up!

I checked the top of the frame but theres no plate, the frame has been painted so ill rub it down 2morro and see if anything shows up!

Have double checked, even sanded off some paint and cant see any numbers stamped on frame... anyone have any ideas from the engine number i have mentioned on first post??

Cheers again

Have double checked, even sanded off some paint and cant see any numbers stamped on frame... anyone have any ideas from the engine number i have mentioned on first post??

Cheers again

You could take it in to a motobike shop and ask there.

good luck,

wes

Hi

56A

246cm3

y-1

Thanks in advance ;)

will check tommorow but going by your cm3 figures its a pre 1991 model as 1991 onwards is 248cm3 nicasil linered luckily your barrel is reborable and not the type that needs expensive reliners/recoating if damaged/worn.

will check tommorow but going by your cm3 figures its a pre 1991 model as 1991 onwards is 248cm3 nicasil linered luckily your barrel is reborable and not the type that needs expensive reliners/recoating if damaged/worn.

my 1999 yz250 has 249cm3 on the cylinder, original casting.

• 2 months later...

1990s did not have boreable liners; they had coated ones like most Japanese brands did. New Piston had a blue ink capital A or B marked on them. All YZs had coated liners from later 80's on as most all the Japs did. LA Sleeve has I believe 280 kits that are boreable with existing useless coated cylinders.

What color are the upper fork tubes? Silver, Blue, Red? Where the triple tree connects. Frame color? Black, Red, White, Yellow?

Frame numbers were on the right side of steering stem or small poss. center of stem. Seems to me right side.

11th number or letter; but it's the 11th.

Owned two of these bikes; looking to purchase another as mentioned in the forum...