125 virago 2000 model

wee-man
This post is 5485 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

HI TO ALL,

I BAUGHT MY WIFE A YAMAHA VIRAGO 125CC GREAT LITTLE BIKE BUT RECENTLY SHE HAS HAD SOME PROBLEMS!

WHEN SHE CLUTCHES IT AND PUTS IT INTO FIRST IT CUTS OUT BUT IT CAN START ON A BUMP AND GO IN SECOND!

I HAVE STRIPPED THE CLUTCH AND GAVE IT A GOOD CLEAN BUT NONE OF THE PLATES SEEM TO BE STICKING I HAVE ALSO ADJUSTED THE CLUTCH BUT NOTHING SEEMS TO WORK I EVEN REPLACE THE CABLE !

CAN ANY ONE HELP AND GIVE ME A FEW IDEAS??

CHEERS

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

HI TO ALL,

I BAUGHT MY WIFE A YAMAHA VIRAGO 125CC GREAT LITTLE BIKE BUT RECENTLY SHE HAS HAD SOME PROBLEMS!

WHEN SHE CLUTCHES IT AND PUTS IT INTO FIRST IT CUTS OUT BUT IT CAN START ON A BUMP AND GO IN SECOND!

I HAVE STRIPPED THE CLUTCH AND GAVE IT A GOOD CLEAN BUT NONE OF THE PLATES SEEM TO BE STICKING I HAVE ALSO ADJUSTED THE CLUTCH BUT NOTHING SEEMS TO WORK I EVEN REPLACE THE CABLE !

CAN ANY ONE HELP AND GIVE ME A FEW IDEAS??

CHEERS

So I guess that the bike lurches forward when you try to engage 1st (like if you tried to put the bike in gear without the clutch)? or does the engine just stop without the bike lurching forward ? I would guess if the bike bump starts and rides fine your problem is electrical, If the bike has a side stand you could find the switch is o/c ... fooling the bikes electrics that the side stand is still down and killing the ignition curcut. hope this helps you on your quest

Regards Jim

So I guess that the bike lurches forward when you try to engage 1st (like if you tried to put the bike in gear without the clutch)? or does the engine just stop without the bike lurching forward ? I would guess if the bike bump starts and rides fine your problem is electrical, If the bike has a side stand you could find the switch is o/c ... fooling the bikes electrics that the side stand is still down and killing the ignition curcut. hope this helps you on your quest

Regards Jim

THANKS FOR YOUR SUGGESTION M8 JUST TRIED THAT BUT IT IS STILL KILLING THE ENGINE!

THE BIKE DOES NOT LUNGE FORWARD IT JUST DIES AS SOON AS I TRY TO ENGAGE FIRST GEAR WITH THE CLUTCH IN OR OUT!

THIS IS REALLY PUZZELING ME I CANT THINK WHAT IS CAUSING THE PROBLEM !

THANKS FOR YOUR SUGGESTION M8 JUST TRIED THAT BUT IT IS STILL KILLING THE ENGINE!

THE BIKE DOES NOT LUNGE FORWARD IT JUST DIES AS SOON AS I TRY TO ENGAGE FIRST GEAR WITH THE CLUTCH IN OR OUT!

THIS IS REALLY PUZZELING ME I CANT THINK WHAT IS CAUSING THE PROBLEM !

Ok how did you test the switch ? and does the clutch work fine when you bump start the bike ?

regards Jim

Ok how did you test the switch ? and does the clutch work fine when you bump start the bike ?

regards Jim

YEAH THE CLUTCH WORKS FINE WHEN BUMP STARTED!

I HELD THE SWITCH IN AND TRIED AGAIN BUT THE SAME THING HAPPEND!

AM I AT THE WRONG SWITCH? I AM HOLDING IN THE BUTTON THAT THE STAND PUSHES IN!

YEAH THE CLUTCH WORKS FINE WHEN BUMP STARTED!

I HELD THE SWITCH IN AND TRIED AGAIN BUT THE SAME THING HAPPEND!

AM I AT THE WRONG SWITCH? I AM HOLDING IN THE BUTTON THAT THE STAND PUSHES IN!

Ok the switch you need to test is by the side stand it's other end is at the clutch lever, trace the wires back from the side stand and you should find a connection where the switch joins the main wiring, disconect those 2 wires, from my time with Yamaha that should take the intire thing out of curcut and you could then work out if the switch is ok or not. Does the bike have a main stand ?

Regards Jim

Ok the switch you need to test is by the side stand it's other end is at the clutch lever, trace the wires back from the side stand and you should find a connection where the switch joins the main wiring, disconect those 2 wires, from my time with Yamaha that should take the intire thing out of curcut and you could then work out if the switch is ok or not. Does the bike have a main stand ?

Regards Jim

NO MAIN STAND JUST SIDE STAND ! GOING TO FIND THE WIRES JUST NOW AND DISCONNECT!

• 6 months later...

OK DISCONNECTED THE TWO WIRES AND GUESS WHAT ITS STILL DOING IT LOL!

ENGINE CUTTING OFF AS SOON AS I TRY TO PUT IT IN GEAR!

I think I have the same problem .. "I Start the engine engage clutch click into 1st and it stops!" ... but I think its because the clutch is not disengaging properly, causing drag on the engine at start up causing the engine to stall! Robert

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online