importing an old motorcycle

pailo
This post is 5665 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello all, can anyone give me a definitive answer to these questions?

I have just bought a 1979 SR500,it came from S Africa in 1996,it has never been registered in the UK,I have the S African Logbook and a customs release form,I have spoken to DVLA but came away no wiser!apart from that I will be able to get an age related plate.

As it is 30 years old do I need to get it (1) SVA'd or will an MOT be OK? (2) Will it require Type approval if so how do I get it? (3) What customs forms will I need if any?

I have looked at the VOSA,C&E and DVLA websites,but they all give ambigious information!

Thanks for any information (am pulling out what little hair I have left)

Pailo

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hmmm.

The second post in two days about the DVLA giving out crap info.

I'd be inclined to take all the paperwork and waltz (you'll need a partner for this though) into the ((and one who can dance) nearest DVLA office and ask, and ask, and ask until someone gave me the right forms. They can't turn you away as they are the agency responsible, they might however tell you that you don't have the right bits of paper, so at least that would be a start.

The VJMC is the place to start join em, they can help you a lot and produce dating certificate from the frame number if your S.A documents do not already have the date of birth on them, i think if you have the date of manufacture on the original log book you can use that to apply for an age related plate from the DVLA not quite sure what paperwork needs to come from the dvla but yuo will need to get the bike and the paperwork to the nearest DVLa licensing office to have it all checked and they will issue a reg number, you may have to get it motd and insured first using the frame number i am not quite sure about that though, vjmc website

merv

vjmc /dvla frequently aked questions

The VJMC is the place to start join em, they can help you a lot and produce dating certificate from the frame number if your S.A documents do not already have the date of birth on them, i think if you have the date of manufacture on the original log book you can use that to apply for an age related plate from the DVLA not quite sure what paperwork needs to come from the dvla but yuo will need to get the bike and the paperwork to the nearest DVLa licensing office to have it all checked and they will issue a reg number, you may have to get it motd and insured first using the frame number i am not quite sure about that though, vjmc website

merv

vjmc /dvla frequently aked questions

Hi there thanks for the info but have tried DVLA and VJMC but have still not got the info that I need!

• 3 weeks later...

hi there i am doing the same hope this helps

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Buyin...hicle/index.htm

you will find all the info here

they will send you a pack

Hi there thanks for the info,I have finally found out the gen for getting it registered,ie.Idon't need type approval or an SVA due to it beeing 30 years old,only require South African log book and customs clearance form,as well as the DVLA form so that I can get an age related plate.

Regards Pailo.