FZ600 Rebuild

steverqpr
This post is 5452 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All

I have been given an FZ600 1988 which is in need of lots of work to get it looking yummy.

I am a two stroke man and if this was a TZR/RD I would not ask this question as I would just restore, but is it really worth restoring this old girl.

It is all there but has not been run for two years, so breaks were stuck on and the like, but no corrosion. The forks, bodywork, frame and wheels are in nfairly good condition. The engine has not been run for a year, so I am wondering if this will need a total rebuild.

I reckon I am looking at around £600 and 6 months to get it back to looking the biz, but not sure if it's worth it. Will it be a classic? Do not know much about these, although I had the 1000 when they first came out.

Adice would be appreciated.

PS - I have the energy and drive to do this, but don't want to waste my time

Steve

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi All

I have been given an FZ600 1988 which is in need of lots of work to get it looking yummy.

I am a two stroke man and if this was a TZR/RD I would not ask this question as I would just restore, but is it really worth restoring this old girl.

It is all there but has not been run for two years, so breaks were stuck on and the like, but no corrosion. The forks, bodywork, frame and wheels are in nfairly good condition. The engine has not been run for a year, so I am wondering if this will need a total rebuild.

I reckon I am looking at around £600 and 6 months to get it back to looking the biz, but not sure if it's worth it. Will it be a classic? Do not know much about these, although I had the 1000 when they first came out.

Adice would be appreciated.

PS - I have the energy and drive to do this, but don't want to waste my time

Steve

Should be ok depending on how it was laid up, try to get it going first, clean out carbs ,fresh fuel, charged battery etc. Once started if it doesn't sound like something wants to exit crankcase, its worth a bash.

This engine has odd oil galleries in the crankcases so After u run the motor up and are satisfied that there are no major gremlins, drain the oil & re run it with a flushing oil in to clean the odd little holes out in the crankcase.

If the carbs are out of sync at idle the engine will sound like a bag of poo, if you get the rattle which will then disappear when reved, continue with the project.

Regards Jim

Should be ok depending on how it was laid up, try to get it going first, clean out carbs ,fresh fuel, charged battery etc. Once started if it doesn't sound like something wants to exit crankcase, its worth a bash.

This engine has odd oil galleries in the crankcases so After u run the motor up and are satisfied that there are no major gremlins, drain the oil & re run it with a flushing oil in to clean the odd little holes out in the crankcase.

If the carbs are out of sync at idle the engine will sound like a bag of poo, if you get the rattle which will then disappear when reved, continue with the project.

Regards Jim

Thanks Jim. Would be a shame to see it go for scrap, so I will try and fire the old girl up this weekend.

• 6 months later...
Thanks Jim. Would be a shame to see it go for scrap, so I will try and fire the old girl up this weekend.
Hi there I own a 1987 fz600 running lovely just had new fork seals and new head race bearing looking to do another one up how much would you sell for if you decided to cheers bazza

Hi there,

If you have the money and patience, yes it's worth it. The FZ600 in the 80s was similar in handling and performance to a 2-stroke TZR/350 YPVS. It was the 4-stroke hooligans bike. The frame was an award-winning race frame. The engine was a tuned XJ600 oil-cooled lump.

I remember in the 80s lots of TZR boys swapped them for the FZ600. What it lacks in straightline speed, it makes up for in the twisties!

If one was offered to me for the right money, I'd take it.

Whether it becomes a classic... I just don't know. However, a good rider on an FZ600, even by today's standards will lose, in the tight bends, many modern bikes.

I would class it as a classic Yam.

• 1 month later...

i got my '88 last april, (april 08) and got it running. It is a beast! Definitely worth any work you put into it. I Beleive it would be worth something in the future as it is Yamaha's First-Ever 600cc "Race Replica" sport bike. Parts are not too hard to get as it shares the brakes, engine and many elecrical parts with the YX-600 Radian, FJ-600, XJ-600 Maxims and even a few others! PArts are easy to get and pretty dang cheap on ebay (don't steal my bids you bastards!). The FZ is in my opinion the coolest 4-stroke sport motorcycle created.

P.S>, Jim mentioned a rattle at idle or low RPM, i have this too, it is the transmission, once you get it to 2,500RPM, it dissipates.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online