Ingition Switch just died xs400

christoph21
This post is 5745 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello all. I recently changed out my handlebars on my 81 xs400. Right after doing this, my ignition switch died. it was working flawlessly beforehand but is now dead. I cleaned out the switches connections in the throttle housing and took a voltometer to some open connections. I have tested from the switch to the starter solenoid and everything checks out. I thought it would be just a wire being that i did jostle some wires pretty good when i had a wrench slip. The kill switch still works fine however. I'm probably going to try and check the connection from the starter solenoid to the starting motor if i can get in there easily enough.......What's my next step?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Are you saying that when you turn the key to 'ON' nothing happens (no lights, starter, etc)? Or when the key is on lights come on and won't start? I would check for blown fuses and loose wires. It's possible the switch also took a dump. Battery is connected, right? Where are you located in MN? I'm in Apple Valley.

No, all electrical is fine. Electric start just doesn't work. I worked with it the rest of the night and found out the starter relay was the problem. Strange time for it to go bad. I've got a replacement coming so hopefully all will be well. If not... well I'll be back here I'm sure.