'79 XS400 Dies at stop

underceije
This post is 5779 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Question for the forum here, I have a 79 XS400 with two problems that I can not seem to figure out.

1. When the bike is getting warm (not completely warmed up yet) and you give it gas, at about 3000-4000RPM the bike acts like it is not getting gas all of a sudden and starts to sputter and will sometimes die out.

2. After the bike has warmed up, that problem goes away, and after you have the bike out for about 15 minutes, when you come to a stop and let the bike idle, it dies out once again like it is not getting fuel.

Yes I know, I know, I am awnsering my own questions....I need to clean the carbs on the bike again, but the jets have flow in them they act like they are almost tempermental. I was told that I needed, to adjust the floats possibly, but when I put the carb back together I adjusted the floats to factory settings, I am wondering if my mixture is off, or what the deal is... Any ideas to look at other than cleaning the carbs, which I will be doing again, but if anyone has had to readjust their floats off of factory settings... ect. ect. ect.

Also what anyone on here know what they have been setting their Idle to? I set mine to factory settings, but when I come to a stop as explained above and restart the bike I can adjust the idle up and it will keep running, but it seems like everytime that I stop I have to raise the idle level higher and higher just to keep the bike idling at around 1500 for it to stay running with out using the throttle

Ok so I guess more than a couple problems, but all related, also when I tore apart the carbs, I could not get the floats off of the carbs to get to the jet underneath due to the pin holding the float would not come off, (and no it was not that I could not get it off) it was grinded down and shaved on the end creating a lock almost...any ideas?

Thanks guys

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

All of my stupid idle / sputtering at higher RPMS or under load problems were caused by a dead battery.. from my limited experience with my XS. It wouldn't hurt to do a few checks on the battery voltage.

:unsure:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online